do i need a new bearing, hub, or axle?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Barrett Landscaping, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Barrett Landscaping

Barrett Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Going over one of my older 6x12 trailers that i believe is a hawkline. it is a heavy duty single axel with either a 5000 or 6000lb axle rating. noticed that the passengers side tire was slightly kicked in and when jacked up had a slight wobble to it. the other side is straight and true. so the qusetion is what do i need to do?

2. bradseabridge

bradseabridge LawnSite Senior Member

replace the bearings for sure on both wheels, take the hub off the axle and make sure the axle spindle isn't worn into a oval shape. If it is worn anything but perfectly round then the axle needs replaces. I used to work in a custom trailer shop for 2 years so I know a think or two.

3. Barrett Landscaping

if i take the carter pin out the whole spindle comes out right? is there any way is the axel is bent to take it somewhere and have it "reformed"? thanks for the reply.

4. bradseabridge

Axles are cheap. if anything is wrong get a new one. We used to sell 2500lb axles for 75$! which is unreal. You need to take the grease cap off, take out the cotter pin and remove the castle nut.. then it will come off.

5. meador56

meador56 LawnSite Member

Axles are not very expensive if you shop around. Yes remove the cotter pin and the nut and the hub and bearing assembly will come off. Now are you prepared to pack the bearings and reinstall a seal?

6. Barrett Landscaping

im going to take a better look at it tomorrow. is the axel on a trailer 1 piece? or can i just replace half of it? also, looked into a new axel and had issues finding the one i need. it is either a 5 or 6000lb axle and it is a 5 lug.... most seem to be 8 lug. does anyone know where to find one?

7. bradseabridge

If you have a 5 lug it's not 5k it's probably 2500 lbs. Also if you don't know that axles are one piece than I suggest you just take it to a trailer place and pay the fee.

8. Barrett Landscaping

its definately a 5000 lb or more axle. it says on the tongue of the trailer either 5000 or 6000 gawr and 700lb tongue weight. also, the tires on it are almost as big as my stock jeep cherokee tires and take 65 psi. i know that there has to be somebody out there who knows where a 5 lug axel is.

9. Barrett Landscaping

or, is there a way to use my existing hubs and just ge the axel itself instead of a kit with everything with it?

10. bradseabridge

is this a dual axle?