Do I need a new pump?

Discussion in '<a href= target=_blank ?>Sn' started by RB, Jan 10, 2001.

1. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

A freind of mine bought a 8 ft. meyer (C8) for his blazer. He said it is too big and heavy for his blazer because he has a hard time lifting it and turning it (E47).

He wants to trade me for my ST90. I have an E60. He said to check with someone w/more experience and see if the E60 is all I need for that C8. He said I need the heavy duty version of the E60 (E60H). I told him I'd check, but my E60 would be fine. Am I right??

2. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

NO, the e60 is the right pump.
  3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Bear in mind the C-8's CAME with the E-47 for years. Like 1982?-1991?

Chuck would know.

Anyway, if he said the E-47 had difficulty TURNING the C-8, that's an indicator HE needs some pump service.

At any rate, your E-60 will do fine.
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

sounds like you got a good chance to get a bigger plow-if its in as good a condition as yours,Id do it in a second.The 8 ft er is heavier duty too.
  5. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

Thanx guys. You are all right. First, he was having pump problems like Kent says. He said he put new oil in his pump (some stuff in a red bottle - Marvel something or other). He said when he changed it with meyer hydro fluid it made a big difference.

He said that he would still swap boards with me, even though my st90 is only one year old and looks like new. His c8 is about 5 years old and needs cleaned up. I'm still going to make the swap.

thanx again guys.

6. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I did the very same thing 20 years ago.

Had a Brand NEW ST-90 and traded it for a 4 year old C-8.

Glad I did it? You bet.
    At first I was a little sour, 'cuz I spent quite a bit of time scraping and re-painting it. (Mounted on a brand new truck, couldn't have a shoddy looking plow.)
    But when I plowed in the same lot as a ST-90 next to my C-8, it was all worth it.
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Good deal! Any pump will lift and angle the C-8. You just stepped into a NON-Meyer stereotyped plow. They are as tough as any and are 6" wider than your 7.5. They are definately a heavy duty plow with many upgrades from the ST series. A quick sandblast, prime and paint in the spring is all that it needs to last for a good long time.