1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do I need a walk behind?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by exmarkking, Mar 6, 2013.

1. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

I keep the following equipment on the truck at all times:

48" laser z with mulch kit
    42" navigator
    21" push mower
    2 weed eaters
    1 edger
    Extended reach hedge trimmers
    24" hedge trimmers
    2 backpack blowers
    Backpack sprayer
    Miscellaneous stuff

The question is: do I need a 36" walk behind? The 48" laser fits thru some gates, the 42" navigator fits thru most gates, and the 21" fits thru all gates. I have mowers for bagging, mulching and side discharging. where would the 36" walk behind fit in and where would I use it?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

If you don't have 36" gates you don't need it:waving:
  3. sharperimagelawns

sharperimagelawns LawnSite Member

IMO a walk behind is only a necessity if you have properties with extremely steep hills that are too big to use the trimmer. It sounds like you have the equipment you need, so I wouldnt buy a walk behind just for the heck of it. Truthfully they are kind of a pain to operate, so given the choice, 9 times out of 10 your gonna get the riders off the trailer and leave the walk behind sitting. But then again it all depends in the properties you are servicing.
  4. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I have a rider and walk of the same size and both get used. Say your rider goes down, your going to do all your accounts with the 21? I also have a part time helper that can use the walk behind and not be standing around once trimming is done. The walk is also great on hills. I also have a 36 walk for gates. If you dont have any gates its no big deal as you also have a 21, but I dont even carry a 21. Its too slow
  5. exmarkking

I understand what each of you are saying. That's why I'm questioning it. I think the 36" is good if a mower goes down, but the 21" does have its place too like islands that are small and surrounded by curbs(commercial), small front lawns that are on a slope. Sometimes the 21" makes since when you have back yards that hold alot of water, it won't destroy the lawn like a heavy walk behind. I guess I'm questioning myself because I need a new 21" push mower but don't own a 36" walk behind. I started out with a 36" walk behind but over the years sold them to upgrade to the rider, navigator. I have managed for the past year without a walk behind but I did use the 21" push mower some, that's why I need a new one. The cost is a huge difference between the two mowers as well. I can get a new 21 for 1100 and a new hydro walk behind is around 5-6000 now a days.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you looked at the new Toro Turfmaster? That might fill the gap.
  7. exmarkking

I demos the new 30" exmark and didn't care for it. I think to simplify my question, which is more important/useful? 21"" or 36"
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Joe W 17

Joe W 17 LawnSite Member
    from St paul

What didnt you like about the exmark 30?
  9. exmarkking

Maybe I'm old fashioned but it was hard to deal with. Seemed a bit cumbersome. Didn't cut as good as I thought it would with two blades
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. Joe W 17

Joe W 17 LawnSite Member
    from St paul

Thanks for the reply. I have the toro 30 and its been awesome for getting in those gates plus its light which is always nice. The cut isn't so bad but the deck clog and it is overpowered. I was anticipating embark would fix there issues and have a homerun.
    Posted via Mobile Device