1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

do i need insurance on the trailer

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by zmowingmaster, Jul 12, 2005.

1. zmowingmaster

zmowingmaster LawnSite Member

i just recieved my plate renewal form,it states on the back that i have to provide insurance name and number...do i need to buy insurance for the trailer...if yes, could you please tell me how much approximatly it might cost for my 5x10 open trailer....by the way, my current insurance covers only my truck, i called them and they don't do trailers ,i called esurance too and they don't do that either
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Call any major insurance company like Allstate, State Farm or Progrssive and they automatically cover trailers. I have my truck covered by State Farm as a utility truck (multi-purpose) and they cover my 7X16 trailer on the truck insurance.
  3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You can also call an Independent agent that represents several companies to find the best deal. You also need to insure all your equipment (mowers,trimmers,etc.) so it will be replaced at replacement cost if you get in an accident and it gets damaged,fire, stolen or ?.
  4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

My trailer insurance is like $30 per 6 months. So just get some. Major carriers will do it.
  5. zmowingmaster

thanks guys
  6. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

My trailor is also included in my truck insurance at no additional charge. Do you have a commercial vehicle policy on your truck?
  7. zmowingmaster

no commercial policy, i pay regular insurance, 379 dollars full coverage for 6 months. would it be worth it changing it to a commercial policey and include the trailer. by the way i am a solo operator and this truck is for personal use too.
    thanks for the replies
  8. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

If you have an accident during a time your truck is being used commercially, your insurance company will not be responsible to pay the claim. You definately need a commercial policy.
  9. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

This may not be a true statement depending on the insurance company. I do the lawn business part-time. The truck is covered under my regular auto insurance as long as I don't put a permanent business sign on the truck. I can put a magnetic sign on the truck when I am using it for the business and take it off at the end of the day. I specific asked about the the magnetic sign.

Getting commercial insurance if I remember correctly was going to cost $800 more a year.
  10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I had USAA for my insurance carrier was told trailer was covered, truck was titled in the business name, tagged int he business name and they were fine with it. when I had my accident, trailer was covered, but contents were not. FINE PRINT..read it very carefully. Thankfully the other guys insurance covered some of the damaes, but I was still out of pocket.

Spring for the business insurance to cover your equipent and what not. You can be over insured, but being underinsured really stinks when you need it....

Proper insurance is a cost of doing business it get passed on to your clients