1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do I need licensing?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by RyanD, Sep 30, 2005.

1. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

I am from Missouri and will be mowing lawns, cleaning gutters, fall cleanups, etc. Do I need a "license." Some folks on here have been talking about being licensed. I typed in "license missouri lawn maintenance" on Google and found nothing. Of course... I will be insured. Thanks in advance
  2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes , you do .
    It's a very big fine if you get caught without one .
    Just send me $200.00 a month and I'll make sure you are current with the proper license
  3. Limeade

Limeade LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Har har, tell em the truth,

Its real 150 to him, and 650 per quarter for me. :waving:
  4. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

Thank you for the help. I figured guys were just running off at the mouth and trying to scare away competition when they say I have to be licensed to mow. Just thought I would check.
  5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Perhaps they mean registration. You should register your business name with your state. There is a small yearly fee associated with this. It also gives you a Tax ID number...which you will probablly need for obtaining insurance. UNLESS...you are a sole proprietor then you can use your ss# as your tax ID #. Check with your state.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, check with your LOCAL agencies. Believe it or not, some towns, villages, townships, and cities require an actual business licence to perform services withing their venue. There are conversations on here by guys who have had to get SEPERATE licences to conduct business in two different locales. Thank goodness, we don't have anything like that here.
  7. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

Yeah, in Missouri it is $7/yr to register your name with the Secretary of State. Thanks for the heads up on local municipalities. I will check on that.