Do I need low flow valve for drip?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Aug 17, 2005.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the process of installing a drip system using the Rainbird 1800 Retrofit kit. The instructions say that if flow is less than 2 GPM I need to use a low flow valve in place of a regular valve. Do I need to change out the valve?

Thanks in advance for the info.

John :blob3:

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If the present valve has a flow control, try throttling it down for a start. 2 gpm will probably be okay, it's fractional gpm's that strain a valve's abilities. (there are some brass valves with special solenoids with a zero minimum flow requirement)

3. jcom

The Present Valve Does Not Have Flow Control.

Yes, I Am Looking At A Fractional Gpm Rate Of .50.

What Would Be My Best Option? Thanks Boots.

John

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Just add a WPress Reg on the dripline.

5. jcom

There Is A Pressure Regulator In The 1800 Retrofit Kit.

6. Wet_Boots

Since I usually do drip in the form of microsprays running alongside regular sprinklers, I don't have the need for special valves. I would first try getting a bonnet/cover for the old valve that has a flow control on it. Rainbird does offer a low-flow version of its DV series valve (LFV-100) that they rate for flows as low as 0.20 gpm - It doesn't have a flow control, but it has a special diaphragm and valve seat.

7. HooKooDooKu

HooKooDooKu LawnSite Member

8. jcom

Thanks for the info.

I installed two drip systems last year with the Y filter and inline pressure regulator on a regular DV valve. They are working very well so far. Should I anticipate future problems with these systems?

What happens if the retrofit is hooked to a regular flow valve? It won't open or premature failure or what. Any ideas are appreciated.

You can tell I am trying to avoid changing the valve. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info.

John

9. Wet_Boots

I've occasionally done zones with a single mist head, because there was going to be expansion in the near future, and if I used a flow-control valve throttled down, no worries. Without a flow control, your mileage may vary. (valve not shutting off would be the service problem)

10. That will not help...that will reduce the flow in the dripline..but on a valve that is running .2 gpm THROUGH the valve to the dripline.....you need to crank down the flow control or use a low flow valve....for years we used the Hardie 700 series 3/4 inch valve for our low flow conditions.....it was very good, but spendy.

I see in the trade rags that Superior is making a new low-flow valve....it is probably expensive too.

The rainbird DV Low Flow valve that comes in the drip kit should work...hmm wonder if you can just top the valve? Are the bodies the same I wonder.....