Do I need the exmark mulching kit?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SouthernYankee, Nov 22, 2004.

1. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

If I run gator blades, do I need the micro mulching kit ? Or would it be better to use them together? how much does this kit cost? thanks

2. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

I run gators on my exmark and leaves are discharged in small pieces. I will be adding a OCDC before i add a mulch kit. For me the mulch kit is not needed. But, I have not tried a mulch kit so I can not say if it is worth the extra $125.

3. Ability

Ability LawnSite Member

This is a really good question.

To this point I have only used an OCDC with mulching blades. When the grass gets a little thick it leaves a row.

I thought about buying full mulch kit for it next year but I am afraid that I will invest the money and then take it right off when the grass starts growing heavy because it will bog down the mower.

For those running mulch kits year round what have you found out??? Does it bog the mower down or can you still cut fairly well?

4. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i just boguth bought one for tt 23 kaw and it works great for leaves. i wouldnt reccomend using it on spring growth unless you cut every 4-5 days. imo next clean up i do i will take some pics.

5. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Down here in SW Ga the guys who run them year round have weekly accounts. I have mostly Bi Weekly accounts so I install the mulch kit from Sept to March. Bi Weekly and mulch kit is not a good match during the summer season!

6. shaneth

shaneth LawnSite Member

Every product in our line of work has it's positives and negatives. I run a medium to large company, and we use a large amount of eXmark equipment. We have mulch kits for both 60" Tracers and 60" Lazers. We no longer have them on the Lazers, because we haven't experienced good results. For leaves, we use the Ultra Vac system instead and then we either dump the leaves on the property or we remove them from the property with a 20 cu. yd. containment system using a 30 HP Giant Vac. The Tracers seem to do quite well with the mulch kits, however. During the late spring to early fall, we use an adjustable discharge blocking system on some of our Lazers. The Tracers use the mulch kits year round. I don't recommend using a mulch kit or Gator Blades on heavily concentrated leaves. Some contractors don't have a problem with this, but it's been our experience that it places too much acid into the soil, especially with Oak leaves. Further, even though they are tiny pieces of leaves, there are so many that it doesn't look good. Gator blades are not really designed to work with the mulch kit, you're better off using the mulch blades that are recommended. We learned that about a year ago when we tried using Gators with our mulch kits. Gators are great, just not with a mulch kit. The other benefit of mulch kits is that they reduce the risk of shooting debris at people, structures and whatever else would sustain damage from objects that are shot out of the mower. They're not 100% protection against this, but they are very convenient in this way. If you mow condo associations or residentials that are close to one another, mulch kits are nice to have. I would recommend using them with your Tracer if you have one or more.

7. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I would be cutting fescue or bermuda and I guess from what everyone is saying, I should just get gators and no mulch kit for weekly mowing? SY

8. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

For regular mowing I use regular "High Lift" blades and no deflector for the best results. I tried "Gators" for regular mowing and was not satisfied at all.

This time of year or leaf work.. I run "Gators" with a mulch kit on my TT. Keep the UltraVac on the Lazer. I make a pass or two with the TT and come back and vacum up the dust. Cuts my haul off waste in half.

9. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Put MEG MO blades on with out the mulch kit with an ocdc then you can handle leaves and grass with changing anything.

10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I use the mulch kit all year long on my Exmark 36inch tthp. As long as you have control of the fert program you should have very little problems. Organics with water insoluble N source will keep you from a rush of growth from rainfall. The standard wavy blade is my pick for a blade.