Do I need to a skid sprayer? (pls say no)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bill8379, Jan 14, 2008.

1. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

Do I need skid sprayer to look like pro? I guess it would cost me $2500 or more to get set up like that and I'm not sure I want to load up with equipment BEFORE I actually have the customers to justify it.

I'm going to advertise and really push Fert/weed this spring, I got a couple months still to go.

So I was wondering, after reading around here for a bit, can I Just use an Electric Back Pack sprayer to spray the yards after I lay down some granular fertilizer?

I can afford a thousand bucks to get the sprayer, nurse tank, real good quality spreader but last year I only had a crappy little hand held sprayer and it was hell to get the yards done, even though they are small.

This year I want Pro equipment but I don't want to spend too much money but still be prepared. Can these electric surflo's do the job or are they just a fancier version of the hand held sprayer I got from home depot last year?

2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

There are good quality Backpacks on the market problem is, coverage especially with summer weeds. It will be really hard to hit some of the smaller weeds that are embedded in the grass. You can get by, but I wold use combination products with a good quality spreader and spot spray if that is your only choice, but it is really hard to make money using combination products all the time.

3. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say that it is a matter of volume.. I only had 20 customers my 1st season, and I was able to use an electric backpack + 4 5 gallon water tanks... 4 gallons per 10,000 sq feet. It worked great. but it becomes very troublesome to fill / refill tanks in the field for each lawn. It's also inefficiant.

So.. if you have 20-30 customers.. maybe.

4. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

depending on where you are at use granular pre and weed and feeds and backpacks for spoting. You will learn a lot and before you know it you will have the customer base to step to the next level, whatever you decide.

5. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in Canada, apparently they don't use pre emerge around here, at least that's what my fert dealer told me last year.

One of the problems I had last year was I got called to do yard that were more weeds then grass. I couldn't spot spray, I had one of those 1.7 gallon hand helds with a crappy wand. Bending over lol, I hated it. But I know its just a matter of getting the right equipment. I learned a little bit last year, I got the itch to take the chance and buy a full skid sprayer with 200 gallon tank, but that might not be too smart.

I guess I'm looking for an economic solution in case I don't get a hundred customers. I'm going to have uniforms, nice signs new vehicle lettering. I will do a good job but I really want look the part also.

6. (wi) Roots

(wi) Roots LawnSite Member
    from 9

I would state here that if your customer base warrents such a purchase do so. However if its for appearance only, take caution You may spend more $$$$$$ than what you actually bring in. In this case it dosen't really matter does it!

7. Hogjaw

Hogjaw LawnSite Senior Member

It's not about LOOKS.

It's all about results.

8. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

9. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Yup. Start with good results, a clean truck and a clean appearance and the rest will fall into place. A million dollars worth of z sprays, permagreens, space savers, etc... don't mean anything if you don't use quality products to achieve quality results, which turn into more customers, which turns into more money.....

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

A men Hogjaw

Here in Florida Big Spray trucks may becoming a thing of the past. The State of Florida is in the process of writing new Fertilizer Laws that will effect the entire state. At Present time, some local governments have already in acted Fertilizer laws.

A quick look at the differences between Liquid and Granular Fertilizer & Pesticide. In General Liquids give a Quicker response but less residual. I am sure someone will disagree and say Liquid slow releases have Residual. But Turf Grass can only up take a 1/10 of a pound of N per thousand sq ft in the first 24 hours. Clay compacted soils will sheet off liquids and Sandy soils will Leach liquids. Yes there will always be a need for spraying certain acute problems in Turf Grass.

BTW This is being posted by a Guy with a Cab Over spray truck. I am now semi retired and only work part time. But IF I were starting out today Knowing what I know now. I would have a small enclosed Trailer with a spread & spray machine. I would also have multiply back packs for those special needs. 12V spot sprayers are very handy to have also and I do a lot of apps with spot sprayers even with my present Cab Over set up which has 3 tanks, pumps and hose reels.