Do I need to grind out the stump?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Vikings, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I cut down a tree and the stump is only 1" high now, there is a raised are around the stump.. maybe 4". Anyway, I want to build a shed over this area and was wondering if that stump could move or even start growing again, thus poking a hole in my shed floor.

Wondering if I need to rent a stump grinder.

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

no way will it grow with a shed over it. no sun no growth.

3. Vikings

from canada

That's what I figured but someone said it might grow. I always worry about chipping bark off a tree when I use the gas trimmer. Ringing a small tree could kill it apparently and here I cut the whole thing down, lol.

4. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

It won't start growing, but I'd be concerned that it might turn into a carpenter-ant or termite dormitory. What is the diameter of the stump? I've yanked many that were only a few inches in diameter using my pickup or a come-along winch. And renting a stump grinder isn't very expensive either.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

grind it. Call someone to do it, it will cost less in most cases.

6. Vikings

from canada

It's about 10-12 inches..

I'm not sure if we have carpenter ants and termites here in Winnipeg.

If I do grind it up... You see I had a very large elm tree removed from the front yard last year. The did grind the stump but shoveled all that saw dust crap, and who knows what else, back into the hole. They did do a good job grinding though, they went deep. But the grass and the land there now seem kind of soft.

If I do grind it, should I get a yard of that dirt they call triple mix and fill it up? I actually cut down a shrub also that has a stump of about 2" and that one is in the way.

7. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

if you want that thing out i say put on your workin boots and dig around in and cut all the main roots with a axe or chainsaw and the hook your truck to it. should take about 2 hours

8. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, If the trunk is 12 inches in diameter, it might be tough pulling the stump out with a truck unless you do a lot of digging and root chopping first. If you use your chain saw to cut the buried roots, it'll get too dull to cut in a very short time, so I wouldn't do that. Digging and also chopping the roots with an ax will be a lot work and time consuming. Since you already know someone with a stump grinder, maybe that would be the best path to take. You mentioned that he went deep with the last stump he ground for you, so that implies he must have a grinder with a blade that is several feet in diameter, probably something that was towed to the site. That's a lot better than renting one with a small-diameter blade. The shrub with the two inch trunk will probably done as a freebie if you hire that guy to do the tree trunk. I'd tell the guy to not fill in the hole with the wood chips. It would be better for you to haul the chips away and instead backfill with dirt or even better with crushed stone since you want to put a shed over this area.

Are you going to put the shed on a concrete slab or up on blocks and have a wooden floor? Either way, the crushed-stone fill will be an asset, in my opinion.

9. kandklandscape

kandklandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

we charge $75 for every foot, so im sure that it would be worth the $75-100 someone would charge ya

10. Turfinator1

Turfinator1 LawnSite Member

you could get that stuff that you paint on and it protects against insected.