Do I need to have a license?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by applehead, Nov 5, 2002.

1. applehead

applehead LawnSite Member

I'm thinking about getting into the business after about 13 years as a greenkeeper. I havn't a clue how to start. I am thinking about doing some installs and I think I remember one of my professors saying that I can do landscape jobs without a license as long as I charge less than $300 per project. And that I could write up many different contracts per household as long as they are all less than or equal to $300. I realize this couln't go on for a good business to grow. But it may be a way for me to start. Any help would be cool.

2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I never heard of that. Anytime your "doing business" as means of income, a business license is required. There are a couple of exceptions maybe, but not what you're talking about.

3. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I dont think you are wright but I dont know for sure.I do know that all states and counties are different.

4. applehead

If I do need a business license does that mean that I need a contractors license also?

5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Thats where the rules apply to installs. If you're installing for a commercial, such as a new business, yes. If your replacing an existing landscape, its needed after x amount of sevaral thousand dollars As far as resiential, only a contractors license is needed if its under x amount of $. The X amount is in the thousands I'm sure, but check with your county and state. Probably anybody thats a licensed landscaper is qualified as a contractor.

6. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Since the regulations for business licenses and contractor's licenses vary by jurisdiction, you really need to talk to someone in your city/county. If you are going to apply pesticides, you certainly need an applicator's license.

7. applehead

Iv'e got a Pesticides Applicators License but I don't think I can use it for Sale. Or does it matter how much I spray?

8. applehead

Who would I talk to regarding the need for a Business license or Contractors license? The county Ag. Commisioner? Thanks for any help.

9. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Here you cannot get a license for maint. If you go to new installs or tree work you got to have one. But nobody offers one for maint.

10. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Explain please, Brickman. Are you talking about a contractors license? Surely, you dont mean a business license.