Do I need to have commercial insurance on my trailer

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by matt arends, Apr 29, 2013.

1. matt arends

matt arends LawnSite Member

I'm just starting out doing mowing part time on the side. I still have a full time job. I just bought a brand new trailer and have 3 mowers. At this time I only have 4 yards that I maintenance, two of which our family members. If I get any more yards I will only have 6 maximum just to be side money. I have a name for my lawn care and put a decal on my back window. I'm in the process of getting DBA to make it legit so I wont get any BS at the end of the year from uncle sam. I'm curious if I must have commercial insurance on my truck and trailer? at this point they are both covered on my regular policy. I do not want to get commercial insurance because I only make very little as being on the side. I'm in the learning stage of the "business" side so any inputs helps. I live about 25 miles east of Kansas City, MO and will only be doing lawn care on the Missouri side. Thanks everyone, Matt :confused:

2. matt arends

Forgot to add that my trailer is a 12' x 5' single axle utility

3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

If you get in an accident your personal insurance may not cover it. As for the trailer you can get a policy on it for cheap.

4. BeachysLawn

BeachysLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Depends if you want to self insure your trailer. I had someone run into my truck and trailer earlier this year while it was parked on the side of the road and my insurance covered the truck but wouldn't touch the trailer because it was a vehicle accident.

5. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

1. Chances are good that the liability coverage on your truck extends to your trailer WHILE CONNECTED...but ask your agent to be sure.

2. Physical damage coverage for the trailer itself will NOT extend from the truck's insurance. It's dirt cheap though to insure the trailer itself.

3. You haven't mentioned a liability policy for your mowing business. That also is fairly inexpensive, assuming you don't apply chemicals.

My office job is for a major insurer, so PM me if you have any questions.

6. Slimreynolds

Slimreynolds LawnSite Member

I do the same...Have a full time job and Maintain 10 yards on the side. I have regular personal insurance on the truck, no insurance on the trailer. I also have liability insurance for the business. It's only 400 for the year and I'm covered up to 2 million. You don't need commercial insurance on a trailer unless it's over a certain GVWR. I'm sure your 12x5 is under that weight. Good luck.

7. Leeg83

Leeg83 LawnSite Member

only problem is if you get into accident while towing from job to job you are not gonna be covered. Only time you would be covered is for personal use. Example being if you were going to mow your dads lawn for him or towing it to shop to have repairs made:usflag:

8. matt arends

Thanks for the tips and info. Defiantly helps
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Isenberg Lawn Care

Isenberg Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I switched my truck over to a utility policy, covers my trailer and equipment as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Ask your current insurance co if they will cover business use. Some will for a fee.