Do I need to install kickers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Homie, May 28, 2002.

1. Homie

Homie LawnSite Member

I am a homeowner with a Toro Proline 36" fixed deck walk-behind. Sick of dealing with the messy results of side discharge when cutting the grass, I purchased a recycler (mulching) kit for it.

This weekend I installed the baffle, new blades, and other related hardware, which was easy since all the holes were predrilled.

I did not install the "kickers" included in the kit, which are little ramps that may be there to create turbulence under the deck and chop up grass better. The only reason I left them off is they require me to drill through the heavy gauge steel deck. Not easily done from below. With long grass and short patience I decided to leave them off. Who knows why they would predrill every other hole, yet make you drill for those.

The grass looks great after being cut, and the cut grass and even some leaves and sticks disappeared after the mower passed over them.

Is there a reason I need these things installed? Help from those who know, please!

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The probable reason they didn't drill the holes is because the baffle weldments (kickers) weren't available for the deck when it was built. If you are satisified with the way it's working leave them out. The steel is, at best, only 10 guage and drills very easily.