do i need to reapply?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lance L, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Lance L

Lance L LawnSite Senior Member

put down fert and a week later got 6" of rain? well thats what the customer calling says her rain gauge said, she did water it in after it was applied, i dont put anything down if i know we will get a heavy rain, but a week later after being watered in? is it ok, or re-apply?

thanks

2. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

it's fine, she doesnt know how to read a rain guage either. to make her happy pur down a re-app of some old garbage fert you have in the back, or play sand.

3. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on slope, turf density, and growth rate of the grass some of the fert may have floated away or been deposited elsewhere on the lawn. Re-applying something would be good for customer relations. Just make sure it is a low rate in case most of the original fertilizer is still there.

4. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

I have got to say that you either are very sarcastic or you are an embarrassment to any professional lawn care company. Some of these comments you put down are just down right embarrassing, how could you even get licensed or run a business with the things you say on a regular basis? Im hoping you are just kidding with some of your suggestions, if not you should be embarrassed:nono::nono:

5. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

I would tell her you ALWAYS guarantee your results for weeds or poor color. It takes 10-14 days for the treatment to work and you would like to give it a chance. Ask her to "be your eyes" for you and call you back after 2 weeks if SHE feels it should be redone. Tell her what to look for in a miss-treatment. Blotchy color, uneven growth, ect. Let her make the decision.

If she does call and want a redo, explain it may cause excessive growth and may mess up her future app timing. Do it the same day she calls but with a light app. Tell her if she ever thinks she needs extra fert do to poor color to just call and let you know. Hope you don't mow it. Does she? lol

6. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Lance, multiple studies have shown that it takes a sustained amount of rain fall past 4" in one 24 hour period to either leach or erode fertilizer from a turf site.
    One thing to remember or note, the clay based soils common to Texas are notorious for poor infiltration rates following a drought - so you very well may have "lost" some of the fertilizer unless the site has a minor or negligible slope.
    One thing I absolutely do not recommend is to base decisions upon customer input, especially with regards to either fertilizer or pesticide applications.
    I would, if I were you, contact your local county extension agent and ask this question of him/her.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

He IS just kidding..... Don't take that the wrong way....
    That's kind of close to what I was going to say...Go ahead,...Hit it again. Some is good,...More is better. (Mine was to be marked with a "just kidding", though). :hammerhead:

8. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Humble 1......wah wah wah wah