Do I need work comp when solo?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Liendeni, May 29, 2008.

1. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

I have 1 mil in liablity insurance and the way I understand it is this....if you hire employees than need work comp on each of them BUT when you are don't need it on yourself. Reason I ask is because I got a phone call to give an estimate on a small commerical property. Owner wanted to know if I was insured and had works comp. I told him comp....don't need it.

Anybody else ever have an issue with this?
  2. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

Not around here in Canada. Here you're better off with insurance that covers you if you get hurt. Compensation, at least from what they told me, only covers you if you're hurt on the job. and guess what, they will do every thing they can to make you go back to work whether you're ready or not.

I don't have either anymore. I broke my leg about 9 years ago and had incredible problems with long term disability insurance or trying to collect it. Basically, you have to sue them if you go over 3 months.

I mean at this point I can't go out of business anyway, I'd have to hire someone to do it so that opens up a Pandora's box of issues with insurance and compensation.

I have a brother in law, in heating and cooling business. He had insurance and he ripped the shoulder tendon off. He couldn't lift things for I forget how many months 6 or 8 something like that. But he would go to his job sites and make sure everything was being installed correctly, talk to the customers etc. The insurance co. video taped him and claimed that he is working, want money? sue us. I would never buy any insurance that wasn't mandated by law for me to have.
  3. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

No you do not need comp for yourself.
  4. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

Any suggestions as to what I tell this owner...who obviously just heard the words "comp and insurance" and now assumes that eveybody....anybody needs it?
  5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

just explain to him that you don't need it.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

just because it is not required by law does not mean that the owner of the property will not require you to have it. he is covering himself.
  7. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher LawnSite Member

8. zurfsturfcare

zurfsturfcare LawnSite Senior Member

personally i would just apply for it, it cost $30 in ohio, i know that wont cover you but just in case someone ever does help you, and just to say yes I have workers comp
  9. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

Workers Comp is based on risk and usually is a percentage of hourly wages.

Many insurance companies around the US offer workers comp.
  10. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher LawnSite Member

For Lawn Maintenance in Florida this year's rate is 4.97% of gross payroll.