Do I overseed or treat as a new lawn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mad_wrestler, Jul 2, 2005.

1. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

Hey ya'll. I am in zone 7. I have a customer wanting some seed and fertilizer put down. His front yard is fine. The backyard is the area of concern. It is mainly just weeds and splotches of grass here and there. Nothing really established. The back yard is approximately 6500 sq ft. Do I just aerate and over seed it? Or till it, condition the soil and then seed it?
    He is requesting Bermuda grass as it does very well in this area. Any opinions on your preferred seed and fertilizer to use? My pricing after a bunch of research on here is going to be double my cost on the materials. None of the other numbers are giving me any good profit margins.
    Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Madwrestler,you already know the answer to this question,use your noggin and THINK.. :blob3: ..............OK now what is the answer to this question you have posed?..........
    RIGHT! very good. :D :D

3. mad_wrestler

So I should start it as a new lawn right?...While you were replying I was writing a book to PM you on this very question. All guideance is appreciated!

4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm curious as to why the back yard is doing poorly in the first place. If it's intensely shady, pick your seed with great care. Is drainage or soil pH a problem?

I'd hate to try a long-distance diagnosis even for a lawn, but without knowing exactly why this back lawn is in such punk shape, there's no way to advise what to do or even whether anything should be done in the first place. Are you utterly certain that back yard would not be better off with just groundcover?

5. mad_wrestler

I told the customer that I would advise not to seed until next year. I am having his soil tested as we speak so we will know what the pH is.

6. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Just out of curiosity, why?

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Mad

Common Bermuda is pretty prolific and not effected by pH as much as other grasses. I believe the quickest way to establish a lawn would be to over seed as quick as possible now to take advantage of the growing season which is half over. Marked by the 4th of July as mid summer. The fall and spring will be good for weed control, because weed control in Bermuda is relatively easy. I realize the cool and Trans season guy won't agree with me. But they are not Warm season guys and don't understand warm season turfs. BTW try and scratch the ground for better germination.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know how you folks do things but around here, summer and winter is the WORST time to plant OR seed new grass! The best time is in early fall (september) and the next best time is early spring (mar-april). This is in a southern climate, guess if you folks live up north maybe they plant grass in the summer but not here, and the fact that someone is using Bermuda grass makes me assume you're towards the south as Bermuda grass is a FULL sun grass (no shade, high heat tolerance)...

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Not here either the window on seeding a lawn closed about a month and 1/2 ago.The rest of your answer is in my reply to your pm.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

:cool2:

Maybe another factor I didn't think to mention is the Bermuda High. No it isn't a drug or a type of grass. It is the typical High Pressure zone that sits over Bermuda(The Island) and brings us summer rain.

So you expert in other parts of the country need to take into account our soil and weather patterns are much different than your. But then Maybe I need to listen to my own advise,since I am not sure where in Ga. "Mad" lives.