Do I put my girlfriend on the Z?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ALarsh, Aug 8, 2006.

1. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Well i'm going to need an employee this fall for mowing and i'm starting to think of people to use. Maybe i'm crazy but should I try my girlfriend on the Z and see how it works? I put her on it to drive around for about 20 minutes tonight and she's afraid she is going to hit something. The big problem I see is sometimes she gets careless and doesn't keep in mind that there is a 5 foot deck sticking out both sides beneath her. She just about took out a fence coming over to me but she might get better. If I spend more time with her on it I probably could get her pretty good but i'm not sure if it is a good idea.

She said she will try it out and is willing to work with me. But i'm just not sure....

Thoughts?

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

my girlfriend started running my Z by taking it from the storage area to the trailer or vice-versa. She mowed our lawn a couple weeks ago, she did great until she clipped the fence post with the deck on the last pass. She was paying more attention to making straight stripes than where she was going. LOL. After that she didn't want to run it any more, but lately she's been asking to drive it more often. We shall see

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

As long as you don't care about keeping your girl friend a girl friend or your mower in one piece go for it... I can just imagine the fight after she does take out something or tears the mower up. She may learn, you know her better than us. Unless you are an exeption its hard to do business with a friend, family member, girl friend, etc. Just a thought.

4. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

She was about a 1/2" away from taking out the fence with the trim side. Scared the sh*t out of me and I reminded her she has to watch her added width.

Tacoma, thats my big concern... and the fact that I want someone to trim also... and I doubt shes going to want to trim... She would probably stick to the Z and the blower.:laugh:

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Family and business rarely works but does sometimes.

6. tru turf

tru turf LawnSite Member

HOPE YOU HAVE INSURANCE LOL!:clapping:

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Let her ride the Z while you trim...nobody likes trimming but that's the hard part that makes it all look good. If she can't ride a Z, she won't learn to trim...

8. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Women learn to adapt to many different positions,:rolleyes: i am sure she will be fine, how long does it take to become an expert on a z 20 mins, i would be giving her a few hours practice some where to get her skills up in an open area .

9. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

My wife use to mow with my Z all the time. Just put her on it, in a open field (no blades yet and about 1/2 throttle) so she can learn how to drive it. She mows our yard with it everyweek. I have to do the rest because shes a small girl and the 2 cycle stuff is too heavy for her.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Really I think it boils down to whether the girlfriend wanted (or wants to) drive the Z, or your hinting in that direction finally got her convinced. In the first instance it would probably be ok but you need to turn a blind eye while she learns because nobody is as good as you (etc, etc), and in the second instance I would highly advise turning the daily conversations onto other subjects and forget the hinting and soon it should no longer be an issue.

p.s.: next time, get a 2-seater. :)