Do I really need a pro sharpener

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doc Pete, May 26, 2004.

1. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

While I absolutely love my magna balancer, I don't think you need a special sharpener. I did this on a standard 8" bench grinder. About 30 seconds to do.

blade.jpg

2. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Nice Job Doc Pete.

Even with my pro sharpener I still get a bit of gray/browning on the blade after sharpening. (not blueing)

I still need practice with this Foley. IT does grind very straight along the blade.

3. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

great picture, I was never able to get that kind of finish when I used a bench grinder. I use a hand held grinder now. but it still dosent come close to your grind.

4. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Not all people are as study as you are but I with you I have sharpen blades for 30 yr. with one and have had good luck.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Pete, Meg called you Studly I think!

6. Craig T

Craig T LawnSite Member

If you want the best finish without the burn marks or the lines on the face of the cutting edge you will have to use a vertical belt sander. No bench grinder will ever get as nice of edge or smoothness as the sander. The 46 and 60 grit wheels are for hogging material not leaving nice smooth finishes. Anyway I will post a picture of one tomorrow.(Belt Sander) and price of one.
    These commercial belt sanders mount to a table just like the bench grinder.

7. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Let's See you Put a Perfect Edge on a Wavy Mulch Type Blade!

2 Passes on the Mag & its Razor Sharp...Never Burns...Zip Zip!

8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a 4 inch angle grinder with a flap wheel disc. Works beautifully. I dont need no hi tech stuff to do a low tech job.

9. steve225

steve225 LawnSite Member

Buy a bench grinder for $ 50.00 get a 36 grit stone and a stone dresser. I've been mowing for 23 yrs. and always used a bench grinder . Last year, after reading stuff on this site I bought a 700.00 grinder. It doesn't work any better than my old one.
    Don't get all wrapped up in all you read here, like I do .
    Keep it simple.

Steve

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Steve, what brand/model did you buy?