Do I really need a special blade sharpner

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, May 24, 2004.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, all you blade balancing / sharpening experts.... I just purchased the Magna-Matic blade balancer. Can't wait to use it.

But I already have one of those stone wheel grinder mounted to my shop desk to sharpen blades with. Is there any reason I necessarily have to spend the big bucks for a Magna-Matic or Oregon blade sharpner? What do they do that my wheel won't do?

I would have ordered the Magna-Matic blade sharpner too but they aren't shipping any time soon. There's a delay on them or something. So that got me thinking, maybe I don't even need one.

btw, I just run Honda Commercial 21" mowers, which I think are a bit easier when it comes to balancing and sharpening than are the big mower blades most of the rest of you guys use.
  2. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

isn't that kind of like asking if you need honda commercial 21" mowers as opposed to craftsman?

just my thought
  3. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

There's a delay on the magna matic? I just got mine on Friday It only took a week and half to get it. They told me when i ordred it that it was on back order but it came in on Friday. The balancer is still on B/O.
  4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont really understand your reply Kel, however Jim, your magna can hold the blades & put whatever degree pitch you need. Plus a bit quicker probably that what u r using now
  5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

21" mower Blades are 21"...the "Big" Mower Blades are 18"..16" etc...That Stack @ the Front & Back are 21" Blades for Lawnboys...No Difference Between Sharpening Them & "Big" Mower Blades!

6. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

its a comparison
    basic wheel grinder vs. magna matic
    craftsman (home owner grade) vs. honda (commercial grade)
  7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not familiar with the Honda commercial 21", but I do know that sharpening the blade on my Crafstman 21" is very easy to do as opposed to the blades for my 60" ZTR. I attribute the diference to the width of the edge and how difficult it is to get the edge flat using a 4" grinder. On the little Crafstman it is very easy and I'd personally never think about a sharpener if that were all I were sharpening.

Also, yer not gonna believe the diference between that Magna-Matic balancer vs. the nail in the wall or the cone balancer. There is no comparison. Best investment I've made yet (other than my ZTR).
  8. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

One guy on here mentioned using a sander to sharpen blades rather than a grinder.

I dug my sander out today and liked the results, less metal taken off and a much shaper edge.

Grinders and sanders are much cheaper than a fancy machine but, the one who dies with the most toys wins. :)
  9. its a no brainer to me ..the magnamatic cant be beat ...low risk of blade burn ..and you get the perfect angle every time ...the way i look at it ... the cost at the beginning might be high ...but these things will last years and years ..and you can deduct it at tax time .
  10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I could be wrong here but I don't believe a 21" mower will turn a blade at 18-19,000 fps.
    So there is a difference between the balance and sharpening of a blade for a 21,and blades for "other" mowers.