1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do I really need a Stick Edger?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Gemini1971, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Gemini1971

Gemini1971 LawnSite Member

Would like your opinion on whether or not a stick edger is really needed or can you do basically the same thing with a line trimmer? Thanks!

2. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

A trimmer cannot break through 2 years of overgrowth.

A stick edger can, but it is hard.

A walkbehind eger along with a stick edger is the perfect combo.
  3. Gemini1971

Gemini1971 LawnSite Member

I need to clarify here. I'm talking about for the driveway and walkways to have a nice property edge. Thanks!

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

If it's already edged, a lot of guys on here seem to like using a trimmer to maintain it.

If there is a lot of overgrowth, I use a walk-behind for the initial edge, then use my stick edger to maintain the edge, usually hit it every other week. It's pretty fast using the stick edger once the edge is defined.
  5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Stick edger to maintain for me. Much straighter line than a trimmer and you dont need to worry about rocks poping up and smashing through a window.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Probably not important when you are first starting out. We have several different kinds of edgers in the shed, never used any for the last 10 years.
  7. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

These day's a walk-behind edger is never on the trailers, Stihl FC 110's ,power through two inch overgrowth along sidewalks, like a hot knife through butter.
  8. hughmcjr

hughmcjr LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Walk behind edgers are the fastest and do the best job for normal level ground curbs and walks and you don't have to keep screwing with the trimmer line feeding out. If you have a sloped parkway strip with edging along the curb a stick edger works great and in fact sometimes a walk behind edger just won't work because of the steep angle or limited room. Once the grass gets to slowing down here in the hot summer and it is drier, it doesn't need edging as much and I use the string trimmer/weedeater more.
  9. cl&l c.c. Tx

cl&l c.c. Tx LawnSite Member

You can get by using a trimmer most of the time, but every 3 weeks or so you should use some sort of edger either wb or stick, both will get the job done just the same. Personally I use an echo stick edger on every job all the time, it's very versatile and very convenient. I think they are well worth the money.
  10. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I started with a cheap walk behind edger from lowes. It BARELY made it through one year and now it's junk, needs valve work. Then I bought a Stihl FC110 and WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE. This edger is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a trick I've found. When someone wants an estimate it includes mow, trim, and blow. If they want edging (some people dont even have sidewalks) it's extra. So I give them a "flat rate monthly fee" for edging. Which depending on if they want their curb edged, and how much drive/walk they have is around $15-20. I have a couple that are $60! FYI - I edge once every three weeks.

Last year I didn't do any edging. Let's do the math and see how much extra money I'll make this year with my awesome Stihl Edger.

I have 105 mowing accounts. 40 of them require edging. Averaging $20/month per house that is an additional $800/month I make from edging.
    Multiply that by 6 months in the season. My awesome Stihl edger will make me just shy of $5000 this summer.

So, do you need an edger?