Do I really need?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by fire228, Apr 25, 2007.

1. fire228

fire228 LawnSite Member
    from florida

Myself and a buddy of mine are starting a part time lawn business for the days we do not work our main jobs. We have about 30 yards per week to take care of. Do we need a business license and insurance or not?

2. CoreyD

CoreyD LawnSite Member

its probly good to have insurance incase you break a window or somthing... i dont have insurance..... but im really careful been good so far lol....and for the license.... i dont know

3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

YES! Breaking a window should be the least of your worries. Things a lot worse than that happen. Definitely get insurance and a license. A license is dirt cheap and insurance is relatively cheap. Don't forget to pay taxes. Also, please don't lowball, some of us do this as our only job and count on it to feed our families. That can be hard when other "companies" lower their prices too much. Find out what the going rate is in your area and charge accordingly.....a little higher would be better.
    Let me guess, you are a fireman?

4. Grits

from Florida

I jsut noticed you are in Florida. What part?
    I'm in the panhandle.

5. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

get a biz license, get insurance, pay taxes and charge accordingly...do it right or don't do it at all

6. fire228

fire228 LawnSite Member
    from florida

LOL, you got it!

Actually in Pensacola.

So how do I go about getting a license and what do I need to do about paying taxes? How does all of that go.
    Oh, and for the low bidding, dont worry, lol. We charge a little higher than others because there is alot of work out there, if they dont want to pay then there are plenty of others that will ;)

7. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, how do u go about getting a biz liscence and insurance?

8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I hit a high dollar car going down the road with a rock. The rock hit the deflector on the deck and bounced up and hit the BMW. Good thing I had insurance

9. fire228

fire228 LawnSite Member
    from florida

Well I went down and got the license, only $13 a year! Now I have to call on Monday and get ins. Shouldnt be to bad :)

:dancing:

10. Grits

from Florida

I'm in Gulf Breeze!
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner with the info that you needed. Since you have the license, you obviously don't need to know how to do that. But now you are going to get insurance. Shop around. There can be BIG differences in cost. I pay around $580 per year. Also, GET AN ACCOUNTANT!!!!!!!! Trust me on this. I got an accountant this year and i wished I would've got one from the beginning. Like has been said many times before....."An accountant doesn't cost you money, he saves you money". Hell, a good one can make you money.