Do I sell or give away company t-shirts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnboy85, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Lawnboy85

Lawnboy85 LawnSite Member
    from South

I realize this is probably one of the least worries of the business, however, I do not want to be out money if necessary. On one hand, I realize t-shirts are a way of advertisement, but on the other hand, isn't selling merchandise part of running a business? These shirts have my company name and phone # on the back, as well as a catchy little phrase on the front of the t-shirt. I had planned on giving away 2-3 shirts to my closest friends, but where do I draw the line?

Anyone who has time to respond, please feel free to. I will not lose sleep or lose business over this situation. Just wondering what you guys would do.

Lohse's Lawn Service
  2. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

on employees I would give them too. Friends and family is different. Why would someone want to pay you to advertise for you when they can go get a 3pack of white tees for $7.97 at walmart. I wouldnt even bother giving any away. They will sit in a drawer for a long time. Give them to your employees or save them for you. They stain easy and you will need some more before year end.... Nathan
  3. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I thought about this very same thing. I'm giving mine away, as long as you where it. If enough people where them, then my logo might become cool. Ones my name and logo becomes cool on clothes then I can begin selling them.

I have a bunch of sweat shirts on order as well as T shirts and hats. Any one that works for me gets everything for free. Close friends get them for free......just where it everywhere please, lol.
  4. mverick

mverick LawnSite Senior Member

We can buy factory seconds from our Wal Greens for 5 for $10.

I go hit the sales and get xs, s, m in girls tanks and in style shirts. Usually about $5-6. Then have them printed. Have a lot of girls that liked them a lot. Gave out about 20 this weekend. Doubt they all wear them, but even if they just wear them around the house it's fine. And, since they like them. They're more prone to tell people about your services. All of these were to bartenders and waitress's. They see a lot of people.

I don't do just cheesie white. Those, they wouldn't wear.

I even give out hoodies but now is not hoodies season. Buy in the off season. I bought 20 hoodies in girls colors and sizes for $5 a piece since it was out of season. Nice jackets the same way. Bought about 20. Give them out to friends or, girls at the Bars or restraunts. I always have some in the car.

Keep them happy and they'll talk about you.

Plus nice to see a 20 year old wearing my logo acoss there chest...LOL

I was thinking about doing it on boy shorts too. But, that might be pushing it. LOL..
  5. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

that gave me an idea. Get some speedos with your logo and see through thongs for the girls with your logo right in the front. Id do it.
  6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

see through thongs <---------- now this guy has it bad......:laugh:
  7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I give the guys 5 shirts 5 tank tops ...n a hat

they can buy extras at my cost but I also give em replacements as they need

the young guys really like those "Gilligan" style hats after years of fighting the baseball style (which others like) ... I got some of the Gilligan style n they wear em all the time .... go figure

I have plenty of eye glasses n ear plugs which are kinda like throw away never really last too long

As far as friends n such ... sure ... why not
  8. Mow N GO 06

Mow N GO 06 LawnSite Member

See, your cost concerns are the same as ours (the dealer). We recently had a Commercial LCO walk in our dealership and demand 12 free Stihl t-shirts for his guys. The 12 shirts cost us $84 (without dealer logo). $105.00 with dealer logo. He has purchased in last 12 months- (2) FS130 string trimmers (2) BR600 blowers (1) HS45 hedge trimmer (1) FS edger attachment.

Question? Would you as a LCO do it? Next question; only for dealers here, Would you do it?
  9. hughmcjr

hughmcjr LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Even if it costs you money to buy shirts or hats, etc., how is that any different than advertising in a paper or yellow pages? You are putting your name out there and getting people to notice and in a more personal way. I always thought why should I pay to advertise for someone. In fact taken to the extreme, yellow pages and newspapers charge to advertise, although a bit crazy how about paying me two dollars to wear your hat or shirt. Pro athletes get paid to do it and we are pros aren't we?

SDNCLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

I bought tee shirts and some sweatshirts for my friends and family. I gave them out for advertising and marketing. This was a one time deal, so this will happen no more. Just wanted the public to se my business name. I also came up with a custom color scheme like UPS. Trying to establish a color with business name.