Do I start blowouts in early spring or early summer????

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by hoskm01, Mar 25, 2008.

1. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

HAHA, just kidding. Thought I'd boil some blood for a jiff! Cheers!:drinkup:

2. Good time to be installing pigtails for fall blowouts.

3. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

You may have so many to do, that you might want to start in early summer :laugh:

4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

One can only hope.

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Have you ever winterized before? Not sure if you've only worked in Arizona. If not, try making a mental note or a written note for that matter, about where you will hook up the compressor in the spring. You'll probably find a lot of homes here with no blow out tee or other hook up. And yes, we will then discuss again in the late summer/early fall about blowing through the testcocks. I don't care how many of you say it doesn't work, IT DOES.

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

What a crock pat on the back...don't you think this guy has paid
    attention? Only flatland fools blow out thru testcocks.:hammerhead:
    Geez Dana, I thought you were somebody.:nono:

7. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

To answer both questions...

I have only ever been in the Phoenix area. Never a single blowout.

The systems that I have seen thus far are all over the place. The HOA's are set up pretty sweet, so Im told and it seems, for blowouts and service.

Saw one today that has 3 WM's right next to each other, figured Wingfield would crap his pants in joy! It was lackluster for me, my first in-field sighting.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Listen Mike, I'm not getting into a big debate about this now. I can blow 3 resi zones out at a time through the TC. If the homeowner doesn't have a blow out port, I don't have the time to put one in at that time of year. And honestly, I don't have time when we're doing start ups either, unless we are already fixing the copper. I've done most of them that way for 15 years now and have NEVER seen a problem - no melted pipe, no melted diaphragm, no broken bonnet, nothing.

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Most HOA and commercial you will find a blow out port/tee or a QC to hook to.

10. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Been sounding like hosm01 is Mike's Son