Do I still try and collect?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LancelotLawns, May 12, 2008.

1. LancelotLawns

LancelotLawns LawnSite Member

So, I go to one of my customers houses today and mow his grass. Like always I knock on his door for the money when I am finished. I wait for a while knowing that he is an elderly gentlemen who takes what seems like hours to get to his door. Well this time he is taking way too long. His door was cracked so I peeked in and called for him like he told me to do because sometimes he cant hear the door. No answer. So I see him sitting there in his chair like usual sleeping and try and speak to him but still no response. So I walk towards him and well.... He's dead. Anyone else ever have this happen?

2. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

I would write it off. I mowed for a lady who was dead inside her house, but I didn't find out she had died until the next week.

3. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd send a bill to his address and someone may be taking care of the utilities etc. I know in Oklahoma when an estate is probated part of the proceedings is to publish a notice to any creditors . You are considered one of the creditors.

Nosmo

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

holy sh!t, that must have been a little surprising! so you were the one who found him? what did ya do?

5. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

be sure to talk to the family i had i guy die on me last year ( i did find the body) anyway i still mow the property every week and did all the leaves and plow and everything.

6. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

You should get in touch with the family, they may want you to continue services for now till things are divided and sold.

7. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i've had people die and i continued to service their yard until it sold. i would send a bill to his address and like someone else said they might have someone taking care of the bills. anyway, what part of huntington you in? i work in ashland.

8. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

sure. keep cutting and just bill the estate.

9. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

You can skip the trimming, he'll never know.

10. 021462

021462 LawnSite Member

Now that was cold.......................funny but cold:)