1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do I want a tractor???

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by PMLAWN, Jun 23, 2004.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

What can a tractor do? Can I make money with a compact tractor.
    I have been cutting grass and light landscaping for 3 years now and have a few accounts that I could use a small tractor as a tow for a trailer- aerator-spreader and utility truck. I have been looking at graden tractors for this BUT I have looked at compact tractors and been thinking about what I could do with these and if I could add some services.
    What all can a compact tractor do and what type of fees can I charge for different jobs. I know that this is area specific but any general ideas would be helpful as I'm creating a business plan for this.
    Is a compact tractor worth looking at or is it to small to do any real work and to big to put on lawns. I will not be cutting grass with this but I was thinking about lawn installs and bush hog work or other types of heavy cutting. Is this worth looking at?
    Thanks for your help in advance
  2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I bought my Kubota B7500(used), because I want to do more than cut grass. Since I got it for a christmas present to myself last year. I have paided it off and a bunch of attachments.

A compact or a sub compact are great for getting into small areas. They have the power, if they are matched with the right size attachments. Mine has done more than I though it could, along with the orginal owner. The funny part was, I since have used it at the orginal owners house and got paided for it.

I use mine alot for snow removel, brush hogging, tilling, power wheel barrow, fork lift, etc. Since mine has a 60" MMM deck, its also a back up mower to the back up mower. (it was pressed into service once this year, I had a bad day, broke my two standars and was before I bought my sentar)

I plan to buy another bigger Kubota or a ASL RC-50 sometime soon. Jobs are getting bigger and taking to long with my little kubota. But I still will keep it, since its great for little jobs.

I would recommend looking at the Kubota B or BX series. You can't go wrong with one.

Thanks, itsgottobe, anybody else with ways to use one and if it has been a good investment for you?

Would this question be better answered in the Landscape forum?
    Should I ask there?
  5. Loganwildman

Loganwildman LawnSite Member

We do landscaping and light excavating and use a NH TC35 for everything. We got the optional quick attach feature for it, and can use any bobcat attachment as well. We have a loader, tiller, plow, pulverizer, blade (both front and rear), forks, box blade, and can add additional ones.
    It is an extremely versitale tool. That said, there are occasions where I'd like to have a skid loader for confined operations, but not often.
  6. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I started out with a BX22 doing alot of tilling and re-leveling yard area's. Had the front loader and box scraper. Over time got a post hole digger, bush hog, sweeper , front blade and snowblower. Anything is possible with these compact tractor's with the right attachment(s). I've never had any major maintenance problems and kept up on proper maintenance with this tractor.

Thanks guys, I might start looking at used ones to start and see where it goes.
  8. lb59

lb59 LawnSite Member

I love my orange BX23.

Keep in mind the interest on a used unit just might eat up all or more than the difference between the price new with 0% financing and the used with finance charges.