Do it all over again?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by DowntoEarthLLC, Jan 14, 2004.

1. DowntoEarthLLC

DowntoEarthLLC LawnSite Member
    from VA

Ok so now that you've got your landscaping business, what would you do if you could start all over again, would you do anything different? Or would you just say "screw it"?

I would have started with more money for equipment to begin with.

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I think most of us would have started with more money - if we would've had more.

I wouldn't change anything, I'm right where I expected to be after three years and on track for the upcoming years.

3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Way ahead of where I though the Co. would be. I wish we had gone commercial earlier. Residential is not a big money maker and comes with too many headaches.

4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Avery I actually feel the opposite. For the most part Commercials put out to bid for the lowest price (you have to price very competetivly) so therefore there ussually not as profitable as residential. Also you can loose a 100,000 a year commercial account for no other reason then them finding someone cheaper. Residentials tend to not be quite as concerned over price and will be more loyal if they like your work. I do primariy residential and prefer them much over the commercial accounts do to job security!

5. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

You have a point there Evan. Lose one or two commercials and it could destroy your business. I have one that pays over 100K/year. I hate to think about losing that one. Thing is they are all about quality here, not price. I was 20k/year higher on that bid and still got the job because of my reputation. We do first rate work. I am not interested in working for budget minded customers. Most all residential customers here are tight with a buck. Quality is second to price.