Do it yourself

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMowerBoy48, Feb 10, 2005.

1. LawnMowerBoy48

LawnMowerBoy48 LawnSite Member

Have any of you thought of or done do it yourself landscape kits? What I mean by this is you go to the homeowner design a landscape for them, buy and arrange delivery of materials and then give them instruction booklet on how to install. I know that there is a lot of additional things that would be needed in order to do this. I am asking this because I am working on a marketing project and this was one of the ideas that popped up. Also this wouldn't be any hugely ellaborate landscape install. Just something that is straight foward, easy, looks good and gives the homeowner the sense that they did it. Any input will be great, thanks.

2. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Some nurseries do that now. They go out and design something for a fee, then offer the amound of the fee as a discount for any products the customers buy.

3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

a lot of irrigation companies offer this, they design, supply parts & pull in pipe and valve wiring. valves also if customer prefers not to. then customer digs holes & installs heads ect.

4. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

My mom and dad built a house this way many years ago. They selected the plan and the materials, right down to the nails, where delivered to the sight as they were needed. Did what they could themselves and contracted out the rest.

5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

If your healthy or need a little work out just think of the labor cost save by installing a sprinkler system yourself. I did all my own only i did all of it. no problem. cost me about 500 bucks for 1 acre. not counting the water well.

6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

The only problem I have with this theory is you have just removed the part of the equation where you can make the money. Labor and material mark-up.

Any customer that has ever been to a garden store or box store, knows what they can buy plants for. So now when you have to go buy them wholesale, and mark them up, you have just priced them over what they could go to Home Cheapo and buy them for. As far as delivery, that $19.95 a day truck they can get from that box store is less than you could ever deliver them for.

Same with hard-scape materials. Although we use Uni-Lock products, they see pavers or wall block at box stores for less.

Also, any info you give them to do the install is already available free on the Internet or for a $20 landscape book from the box store.

I would say all you have to offer a do-it-yourselfer is a professional design. These are just my opinions though.

Personally, my experience has been that any customer capable of doing it themselves, also think there is no logic or "right or wrong" to landscapes. So a design by a professional means nothing to them. They think they can do it just as good as you.

So, not to say that there isn't a market for this, I just feel the market would be so small, it wouldn't net any profit for you to really have what it takes to get this done. Just like buying an aerator and doing three a year. Just not worth it. To free up trucks and labor to do this once in a blue moon isn't going to be worth the time spent.

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

LOL, for yuppies who want to be manual laborers. The part they usually find fun is the design, selection, and having it delivered. It's the hard work most folks want to avoid.