Do-It-Yourselfers Please Read

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by steveparrott, Nov 28, 2006.

1. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

Chris, no worries (the snipe from J.S. is absurd), I'm not suggesting any change (I only asked others if they wanted a change) to the post and still believe this forum should be totally focused on the professional. I haven't changed my spots in these last eight years (despite what some say). I am passionate about professional landscape lighting design, the profession that delivers it, the professionals who create it, and the companies that promote it.

My question about changing this sticky post is only made because it's so old. I'm fine with what it says, but wanted to ask the group what they think. Since I originally put up the post, I'm sure I could ask the moderator to replace it with a newer version - but I don't see any problems, so no reason to change it.

2. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Snipe? What snipe? Am I missing something? My humour was clearly designated with a smiley face.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

My apologies, snipe was the wrong word. You clearly stated your opinion (that I agree with). I didn't quite get the humor.

4. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

The trouble is, Steve, you know how to spell snipe but you don't know
    "humour" when you see it.:laugh:

5. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

Perhaps you're right. I'll try to lighten up. :dancing:

6. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

Oh, I get it "humor" vs. "humour" - took me awhile. Canadian - like "colour" temperature or beam "centre".

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  7. Trey Brandt

Trey Brandt LawnSite Member

Do let me get this straight? This website is biased against DIY'ers? What about guys trying to start their own business? No help with that? Remember when you guy's didn't know what you're doing? Nobody helped you? Just food for thought. Have a nice day.

Trey

DMAN likes this.
  8. starry night

Well, Trey, it says what it says. However, if you have a specific question, you are not prevented from asking it. On the other hand, no individual on this forum is obligated to answer it. Try your luck. If it is a specific and reasonably articulated question, you can expect answers.

I notice in your profile that you already provide landscape lighting as well as lawn mowing, landscape maintenance, irrigation, fertilization, weed control, hardscape, snow removal, excavation, tree services, landscape design and .....just about every other possible service. So you are obviously not a DYI'er but instead, a very busy guy.

We're always looking for new input on the Landscape Lighting forum.

9. Trey Brandt

Trey Brandt LawnSite Member

I am a very busy guy that you are right. But because I am trying to start my own business. I am an avid believer in forums. They have helped not only me but others I'm sure. I did a lot of reading last night on this site and seems like the attitude towards the DIY'ers is that they are not welcome to ask questions that could allow them to do it themselves. No biggie really, every post I've posted people have been kind enough to help so it's not hurting anything, just seems odd. As far as the services I offer those were picked automatically. I have changed them. Thank you.
    Trey

10. starry night

Trey, I believe that you will find whatever you are looking for here.
    If you look for negatives, you will find negatives. If you look for positives, you will find positives.
    What you might see as arrogance, is more positively, the extreme pride we have in our profession born of long hours of study, experimentation, hard work, and monetary investment. If you look at it in that positive way, you will see why we are not eager to give away to DIYers the knowledge that provides us with our intended financial gain.
    We have our disagreements, from quibbles to major confrontations but we also share lots of valuable information among our members AND with those who are seeking to enter our profession. You will find that in most of our cases,
    we didn't so much find lighting as it found us.
    When I first became interested in lighting and found this forum, I read all the posts starting way back at the beginning. Some of that early stuff is outdated now but provides an interesting historical perspective to the landscape lighting profession. All in all, I learned so much reading the forum archives, when I subsequently went to a study day with one of the manufacturers, I already knew all the material that they presented.
    So Trey, read this forum with a positive attitude and you will learn a lot. And if you have any questions, post them in a new thread.