Do LCO's get the cold shoulder?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigjeeping, Jul 22, 2006.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Wow have I had my run-in with jerks this week. First I get pulled over for "rolling through a stop sign." I've had my share of police encounters, but this was the 1st time I've been pulled over by a regular cop while I'm out cutting lawns (no this wasn't M.C.E.!) Man 'O Live he was the biggest JERK on earth. Straight out of the movies! If you've ever seen Crash he was that bad cop who is all over that chick in the Lincoln Navigator. Hopefully the reason he gave me the ticket was because he knew I made more money than him :cool2:

Then there were the "sanitation workers" or trash guys. I happened to be parked in front of a trash can and one of the guys has the stones to come up to me while I'm mowing and inform me that he could write me a ticket for parking in front of the trash can. Then he says he wouldn't want to see my truck smashed by his garbage truck. I tend to keep my cool in public, especially when wearing a company uniform, so I just nodded and turned away.

Then there was the mail lady! I was mowing in a very tight, crammed neighborhood. My truck and trailer could barely park along the crub between 2 driveways. So it just happened to be blocking a mailbox when the mail lady comes driving by. She too has to come up to me while I'm mowing and inform me that I was illegally parked infront of a mailbox. Again, I nod and continue mowing.

One more.... this one is funny. I'm driving down the road to my next house and I stop at a light. I hear someone whistling and whistling and finally notice this guy in my rear view mirror. He was in a truck behind me and was pretty much standing out of his window waving his hands in the air trying to get my attention. I look at him and he barks "you got a trailer light out" and he yells it like FIVE TIMES. He looked so pissed I thought he was going to get out of his truck and tear my head off. Anyway, once the light turns green he comes speeding by me and guess what? He's pulling a trailer with like TEN CUSTOM LED lights on the back of it. I thought I was going to go blind when he tapped his brakes!

All this, together with my friendly visit with Motor Carrier Enforcement a couple weeks ago has really got me thinking..... do people just have a bad taste in their mouths when they think of guys who cut grass?

2. Stafford Landscaping

Stafford Landscaping LawnSite Member

I had the same thing happen to me in a development and it's a wide to lane road I had my truck and trailer parked on the side in front of the house. Actually I had it parked about 2ft off the road in the grass. And a lady stops and says I blocking the road and I needed to move. I just smiled and said ok thank you and have a good day to her. But every week I show up and park in the same place and she has never said another word to me.

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

your pretty young, and unfortunatly those things used to happen to me too, i found as i got older they stopped, not fair but really the way it is....

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well ,all those things were things you shoulden't have been doing right? You could have pulled the trash can out from behind your truck right?
    You know already about the mailbox thing...
    You know better than to roll through a stop...
    The guy that told you about your light was just trying to help.
    As a person who is out there making a living be it more or less of a living as than other people make.....you have to keep in mind there are other people out there too trying to do their jobs. That's what they were doing..their jobs.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Isn't that weird, I notice this, too...

But I think it has something to do with the look on your face as well, meaning once you have that look of 'I have been had one too many times' permanently carved into your features, they suddenly don't want any of you anymore. But it ain't right, what is it that makes people WANT to mess with you, just because you look like you need it or what?

Some of it is attitude, you slow down for one, and nobody messes with you when you're the slowest. Funny, but also true, took me years to figure out that last place was actually better (way better) than anywhere near the lead. So NOW you young people know once and for all why old folks move slow! So the next time someone gets angry about the old geezer in front of them, it's not that we can't move faster, it's that we know it's just not worth it. Go ahead, flip me off, I got a nice sad look for that, too.

If you're dealing with public servants, remember that government workers are Numero Uno in this country and then you are ok: So if you're blocking a mailbox, keep an eye out for that mail truck and if you see it, sprint to the truck and gracefully move it for them with a stone cold sober look on your face and your eyes pointed down, always look down, like you're not very happy (but not because of them).

That's the thing, if you look like you're having a good time, forget it, they come after you like a swarm of angry bees.
    So, look sad, look like you're not happy, look depressed, just look down and out and then it is ok... It about cracks me up somedays to wear the look, but it's the only thing I know works.

I still hold resentment over that thou...I can appreciate that it goes away with age but like you said, it's not fair.

6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I had one run in with the trash people. Never had a problem with the mail folks, Ive run to the road before to get the mail when I was parked in the way and not a one said it bothered them and they understood that I had no choice as where to park. It must be a up north thing:laugh:

7. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Lucky for me I am covered in tattoos and weigh 250lbs. Otherwise, I surely would have the same issues with the above mentioned.
    Sheshovel made a very good point....it's just their job. They aren't demanding you park your truck at home and walk your equipment to work, they are simply asking for you to allow them to do their job as well.

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Some people do have attitudes like we are less than they are. Its funny because I like to say I have 2 full time jobs. I am a Lawn Care provider and I am also a fire Lieutenant and paramedic. I don't mix those when at the other job meaning that I don't tell my lawn customers that I also work for the FD. Being on the FD doesn't make me any better than anyone else and I have been in lawn care for 11 years and doing better every year.
    There is always more than one way to approach another person. You can be a prick and demand that someone do what you want or you can be over nice and ask politely. There is also the in between where you can still request something, be firm but be respectful in your approach.
    You have run into quite a few ignorant people with your story above and these are the ones you remember because they upset you. Now go back and try to remember the people that were actually nice to you. Its hard because the encounters with nicer people tend to be just accepted as the way you like to be treated and that is normal.
    Be aware of the idiots but try and focus on the people that help you or aren't jerks to you. We do have a great job for many reasons. Some people may think that what we do is below them, who cares. I know that I enjoy being outside and making money doing it. I could care less what others think about that.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Depends. I either shrug it off or simply say, I'm sorry, but I think you have me confused with someone who gives a ****.

10. bill w

bill w LawnSite Member
    from Va.