Do looks and style influence your ZTR purchase?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by davidcalhoun, Oct 7, 2006.

1. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

Lets assume that you can choose between two mower that are identical in quality in function. Do you buy the mower that looks stylish (to you) or do you buy the percived outdated one (in looks only). Why?

Should some manufacturers update their looks?

No, this is not meant to be a slam on any particular brand of mower.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yes... most folks do buy based on looks even more than they might realize.
    Why you reckon there are so many red mowers?

Most mowers that don't look as good or look "non-standard" or outdated don't sell as well.

3. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

You Gotta Look Good!!!

4. davidcalhoun

Just look at Exmark. They try and put curves on certain areas of the mowers. The FrontRunner is a key example. Look at the fuel tank/fenders and the engine hood.

Are these styling differences enough to get you to buy the Exmark FrontRunner over a GrassHopper front mount? Both are good mowers.

5. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

Aren't those 2 different mowers? A front mount as opposed to a mid mount?
    Looks aren't everything, in all actually CUT is everything! I want a mower that looks professional and cuts professional!

6. davidcalhoun

Wildwest, I'm not sure we are on the same page here. Both the Exmark FrontRunner and Grasshopper 600, 700, and 900 series are ZTRs.

ZTRs are found in both front mounts and mid mounts. Maybe you were confused by some of the rear steer front mounts out there.

As for looks/styling of some mid mount ZTRs, how does everyone veiw the look of Dixie Chopper? Change it? Leave it alone?

7. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

Just visited the Exmark site...I see the point of your question. I do believe that the frontrunner would do a fantastic job, it's just a bigger machine, whearas the ZTR mid mount is mor compact. I woud seem to think they would both do a similar cutting job, but the front rider may be faster.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Mowers that need a makeover to help sales...

1- Dixie Chopper
    2- Dixon
    3- BadBoy (upper tier)
    4- Kubota
    5- Country Clipper
    6- Grasshopper
    7- Cub/Lesco
    8- Wright

9. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

You Gotta Look Good With; Women, Cars, Sports, And Mowers!!!!!!!!!!!:weightlifter:

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Short-sighted people do allow a tool's looks influence their buying decisions.