Do looks and style influence your ZTR purchase?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by davidcalhoun, Oct 7, 2006.

1. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

If one machine had superier quaility on both build and cut, dispite it's looks, then it should always be considered.

Since several manufacturers spend a ton of money on R & D, many times several mowers are equivalent in both quality of build and cut.

Once you have equivalent mowers, it come down to marketing. As much as some of us do like like to see marketing sway the way people purchase mowers, it is often the only force that made a difference.

Marketing departments know that they can sway some purchase decisions based on the fact that if a mower looks modern to someone, then it might be a superier mower in that person's eyes and that will create additional sells.

2. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

If one of the big manufactures came out with a Pink ztr...I dont tink many of us cowboys would be buying one any time soon.
    style and paint ...For sure makes a big difference to me...Also flow...the ztr has to have the right things In the right place.

3. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay then.... what is the best looking ZTR?

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

A few months back I started a humorous thread in the "Polls" forum entitled "That's One Ugly Mower". If I recall correctly, the Dixie Chopper won.

But yes, Dixie's, Scag's, Grasshopper's, etc. would have to be some super machine to be pulled around on my trailer.:laugh:

5. VMcNeill

VMcNeill LawnSite Member

No matter what brand I end up buying I think I will repaint all of them to look the same color. Why? Because I think it will look cool, no other reason.

6. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

But if you buy all one brand, you won't have to!

7. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I run dxies and dont care how they look....but that run behind was too ugly to put on my trailer.

8. drumbo

drumbo LawnSite Senior Member

Ever think it might influence a customer's buying decision? Did for me...twice.

Great link btw.

9. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

No, looks and style really do not outweigh the engineering of the mower with me.

But I can see how some companies could get more sales if they had some nicer appearing equipment.

Like the Grasshopper. It looks like it is from 1983. The thing looks so big and clumsy. And customers may think you are running a 1983 mower, also. And it could have something to do with that brown paint. But still, I am curious as to how well these Grasshoppers can cut.

I would not mind a Dixie Chopper though. But the nearest dealer is pretty far away.

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I think the looks affect my purchase a little bit but it has more to do with the cut and reliability of the machine.

For example, I like the way the front of the decks look on the exmark vikings. The location in which the anti scalp wheels seems placed very logically to help balance things out. My older bobcat hydro had that as well. The new bobcat hydro fixed deck mowers (52" deck) only have 1 anti scalp wheel and the placement seems a little odd. I think it needs another on the other side to balance out both the look and help with functionality. Might sound stupid but thats what I think..........