1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Do looks and style influence your ZTR purchase?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by davidcalhoun, Oct 7, 2006.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

rod, what mowers are popular in NJ?

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The grasshopper mower colors are good as far as being "functional".
    But past that, I don't care for them either.

I've always thought they would do much better by switching the chocolate color to a darker "weathered" red.
    About the color of a dirty eXmark.

3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I have been on John Deere equipment for a very long time farming but never owned a zero turn John Deere mower. I had the chance to run the 777 about a week ago and I still believe that John Deere green and yellow looks the best in everything and their zero turn mower is the best looking one on the market but I have been brain washed by so many years of looking over the hoods and platforms of John Deere tractors and combines.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I live in a serious farming area now and you would think that, of those farmers who buy ZTRs and there are a few here, they would buy JD mowing equipment. I have yet to see the first JD ZTR though. I do see a lot of DC, Exmark, Toro and Everride with a few Grasshoppers thrown in here and there. I did however see the biggest freakin combine I have ever seen a few weeks ago. It was green and yellow and took up the entire highway.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

eXmark, Ferris, Toro, and Scag pretty much Randy...even JD and Hustler don't have a presence here.

6. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

John Deere did try differant colors way back when. You could get your JD in any of 5 colors. It did not work. I think the colors were: Green, Red, Blue, Orange or Yellow.

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

functionality is #1 in my decisions......

D

8. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

A majority of farmers (and other residential owners) will still buy a mower that operates with a steering wheel and a pedal.

Some buy garden tractors because they are familar with them and the way they steer. Some buy garden tractors because they want to run other attachments. For some, it's cost.

Even garden tractors have added some curves to their non functioning hoods to entice buyers.

9. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

John Deere has not been in the zero turn mower business as long as a lot of other brands but they are coming on strong in this area. I run Hustler myself but if there was no more Hustler's I would more than likely be on a John Deere, I am seeing more and more of them on trailers in this part of the country. You need to drive a combine like you saw in a congested area like we have around Charlotte and Monroe, we take the platforms off and haul them on their on carrier but the machine is so big it can get on your nerves trying to move on two lane roads. The people actually get mad like you don't belong on their roads and they take a lot of chances because they are always in a hurry, it is kind of funny you can see them cussing but they sure want somebody to produce their food so they can eat.

10. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I see that all the time here. I actually almost got hit mowing out by the road the other day when a guy in an SUV couldn't wait and decided to use the curblawn I was mowing to pass in. Dumb@#$.

-TAZ