Do looks and style influence your ZTR purchase?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by davidcalhoun, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

The new mid mount mower from Wright is sexy lol.

2. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Of course people buy for looks. I am a pretty logical person, but I saw this cordless drill by Kawasaki the other day that looked like it came out of a sci-fi movie . Seriously, I think I saw Sigourney Weaver using something that looked just like it in Aliens. I need a cordless drill, and Kawi might make good drills, but it was too far out with the styling. I don't know if drills are considered phallac symbols or not, but at any rate I'll go with another brand, because there are plenty of good looking drills that work great too, why go with a dumb looking one? That said, I don't care how good something looks if it performs like crap!

3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Around here, for the guys who have been around a while. its Toro, Exmark, Scag, Wright, Gravely, and Dixie Chopper

For the not so serious, new, or something, its Dixon, Lesco, Great Dane, Deere and a few minor players

I almost never see a Grasshopper, Hustler or Kubota.

Have never seen a Ferris, Bobcat or a Badboy in person except at expo.

4. VMcNeill

VMcNeill LawnSite Member

Thing is I like the rich dark green color, kind of like the Quick 36 and/or the Bunton's have or maybe even a Toro red. Lets say I get a hustler ZTR, I hate yellow so my hustler will either be a dark green or dark red hustler.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I don't mind most colors I'd say... but over time I have found that I like BLACK.
    No it's not as flashy as the other colors and at times it is not as functional.

But I tell you, it does have some funtionality. When it gets dirty and the gloss is knocked off, it doesn't look as bad or faded. It's easy to cover your field boo-boo's with some good semi-gloss or satin black. Plus when it is relatively clean, it looks like a new mower still from a distance, as the scratches and stuff aren't visible from that vantage point.

I squirted mine off over the weekend with a garden hose and one of my Monday customers said "looks like you bought another brand new one of those black mowers" as we were standing on the poarch.

6. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I like red and black. :drinkup:

7. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

I a fan of red and black myself. In case you couldn't tell from the pic.

8. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

i wouldn't own anything pink - but i am kinda partial to it . . . hehehehe . . .

9. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

Around here, its what you bought first then you keep buying that brand. I have a Bob Cat and im buying a Preditor Pro Bob Cat next year if everything goes right.

Everyone used to get Exmark and Scag, but Ill tell you what. John Deere Zs are starting to turn up on LCOs trailers all over the place around here. They cut New England dense thick grass very well. There a good looking machine too. Exmark and John Deere are in competition for the favorite Z rider here on Aquidneck Island.

I also heard through the grape vine that John Deere is going to be putting the 2 lunger engine on the new Zs. Its going to have a huge fly wheel that you spin to get er going. Then Put Put Put Put of you go, lol.

10. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't mind seeing an update on the dixie's looks.. but making money by keeping customers happy, is all i care about and they do a good job at it

Around here you see atleast 50% of LCO's have dixie's... the other 50% are divided between Toro, eXmark, and a few of the more rare brands like bobcat, scag and kubota..

never seen a hustler or lesco in real life though..