Do Michigan residents need a business license?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fastrunner, Mar 20, 2003.

1. fastrunner

fastrunner LawnSite Member

Hi there, i was talking with a buddy of mine that has a lawn care and landscaping business like me and he was saying that in Michigan you dont need a business license for mowing and landscaping.. And i was like, huh? He said he called to get one and they said that there is not license required for this kind of work?? I thought everyone had to get a license.. I told him that he was wrong and he thought the person was wrong too. who do you call to find out about this.. He said that he called the local courthouse. thanks.

2. fastrunner

does anyone know?

3. FiremanMike

FiremanMike LawnSite Member

Hey there Fastrunner,
    No license require for just lawncare. If you apply fert. you need a state license. I just started up this season and did all of the research. I do recommend getting a DBA (doing business as) and opening a checking account in the business name. You can get your DBA at the county clerk's office. The website for checking out wether you need a business license/certificate is http://medc.michigan.org Where are you in Michigan?

MIke

4. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg LawnSite Member

If you own your own business and would like to apply commercial pesticides, you must have certification and also a business license. You must be insured also. If you are applying fert only, a license is not necessary except for pre-em etc.

5. FiremanMike

Hey there Fastrunner,
    No license require for just lawncare. If you apply fert. you need a state license. I just started up this season and did all of the research. I do recommend getting a DBA (doing business as) and opening a checking account in the business name. You can get your DBA at the county clerk's office. The website for checking out wether you need a business license/certificate is http://medc.michigan.org Where are you in Michigan?

MIke

6. FiremanMike

Got this right from the site....hope it helps

Lawn Service - Licensing Information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Required State License(s):

No state license is required if only mowing lawns, edging, etc.

However, if chemicals [fertilizers, pesticides] are applied contact the Department of Agriculture, Pesticide and Plant Pest Management Division; (517) 373-1087.

When products are sold a sales tax license will be required. You may call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4730.

Personalized sales tax returns and a payment schedule will be mailed within four to six weeks after the registration has been processed. If you have questions about this process, please call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4730.

Revised: 11/2002

7. fastrunner

I can not believe this ****!! I called up the michigan dept. of ag. and they told me that I need a business license to apply weed control products, pesticides, ect... Ok, heres the deal, I am certified, i have the 3a 3b and 6, for like round-up and so forth. he then said I need to have 2 years experience with applying pesticides, I said i went to M.S.U and achieved the Landscape/nursery certification, they then said, no, thats not enough! Now listen to this.. he wants two years of experience with applying pesticides.. How in the hell can i give him this if he is saying you cant apply pesticides without a license.. i dont understand... I have experience in this.. alot. i am so frustrated i cant believe it..

8. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg LawnSite Member

Have you ever applied pesticides to lawns after having your certification? If you do not have the two years experience, they might make exceptions anyway. Have you applied fertilizer? They may count that as experience too. There is a new program manager in charge of distributing the business license as of about 6 months ago. Tell him your experiences in the field of lawncare and he will take into account what you have done already even if it was not pesticide app's. He will also consider farm work as experience too. If you have a degree in the horticulture field, he will consider that too.

I ran into the same problem as you. One option is to hire a certified employee. It is a pain but may be the only option in some circumstances. Good luck.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Just applying it does not count as actual experience of application. This has to be aquired by being certified and applying under the supervision of a licensed applicator. In other words, if you do not have a Bachelor degree in horticulture, turf management, or some related field, then you must workunder someone for two years before actually being able to obtain a business licence. Another option that youy have, would be hiring a licensed applicator for your business. His (or her) license can be applied to your business.

10. wacamaster

wacamaster LawnSite Member
    from MI

All you have to do is say you have 2 years experience.