Do most of you guys also do shrubs?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenHor7, Mar 19, 2008.

1. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

Do most of you guys do shrubs along with lawns and if so what type of equipment do you use. Can you use a backpack sprayer in order to get started.

2. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I do tree/shrub spraying and ferting. I started right off buying a second 200 gal spacesaver strictly for that use. I put on a trailer first but purchased a second truck after the first year. A back pack will work but you must be sure you are getting even coverage and putting enough spray mix on the plant to make sure there is enough active ingredient there to do the job.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Turf only-- no shrubs.

4. Mr.GreenJeans89

Mr.GreenJeans89 LawnSite Member

what do you use for turf?If you have a skid sprayer then get some tank cleaner(ammonia)clean it good to make sur you have no weed control left in it,run it through the hose and everthing for a half hour or so,drain(follow epa rules)fill with fresh water,run through the hose for half hour or so drain(follow epa rules)process complete put fresh water in and mix what you need for shrubs.Alot of people dont like to do this but ive been doin it for 15 years and never harmed a shrub.To drain dont just let it run on ground,unless you have underground storage tank for pesticides runoff,but do so on a designated lawn that receives treatments by spraying it out,or if its sterilant you are cleaning out go back to the jobsite where you sprayed the sterilant and spray out excess

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There is just an incredible amount of WAY too much money in it to not do shrubs and ornamentals. More than that, beds. The income for a bed program is 6 fold that of fertilizing turfgrass areas.

6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

My best money is made caring for shrubs and beds. A good portion of my business is centered around maintaining the Asian style gardens that are common here. There is lots of mondo grass, azalea, and other evergreens here in the tropics. However, if a "landscaper" is doing the maintenance, at best, the shrubs get butchered with a hedge trimmer and the mondo does not get fertilized. At worst, everything is dead. What a waste!. A 500 sq ft garden can cost $10,000 to install. Therefore, a client who is not stupid or does not have a "landscaper" feeding them BS has no problems paying me about $100 per 1000 sq ft for monthly garden maintenance. I shape shrubs, spray and fertilize. A little time consuming, but I will take that over pushing a spreader or dragging a hose in the midday sun.

7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

My best money is made caring for shrubs and beds. A good portion of my business is centered around maintaining the Asian style gardens that are common here. There is lots of mondo grass, azalea, and other evergreens here in the tropics. However, if a "landscaper" is doing the maintenance, at best, the shrubs get butchered with a hedge trimmer and the mondo does not get fertilized. At worst, everything is dead. What a waste!. A 500 sq ft garden can cost $10,000 to install. Therefore, a client who is not stupid or does not have a "landscaper" feeding them BS has no problems paying me about $100 per 1000 sq ft for monthly garden maintenance. I shape shrubs, spray and fertilize. A little time consuming, but I will take that over pushing a spreader or dragging a hose in the midday sun.

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I trim shrubs/trees, but no fert. No expertise in that, therefore no do.

9. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

I can't say that I do them, per say, but we do offer programs for fert and pest mang. Either do soil drenches or get soil injection gun and a tank perferable 300 split, but 200 will do. You have to shop around for the best price for fert, Lesco is way to expensive they were charging my $50 something a bag and we found the same product for half at another supplier.

10. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

for you that trim shrubs, how do u charge? man hours, number of shrubs, etc?