1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do most of you guys fill up at customer's Home?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenHor7, Sep 20, 2007.

1. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

I was wondering this because of the Tru-green accident. It seemed very serious because they had to close down a school. that could make someone go out of business.
  2. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

noooo way not without a check valve
  3. Thats why you pay the big bucks for insurance.
  4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Thats what I like about using a PG, my tank is full of water and I carry a 2.5 gal jug of weed-control inside another container. spills scare me!!!!
  5. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I do the same and usually put the weed control in a tip and pour, so there is nothing that needs to be rinsed out.
  6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Every so often, I'll run out of spray product (trees/lawn). So maybe 2 or 3 times a year, I will ask the homeowner if I can borrow 10 or 20 gallons of water from their hose. They always say yes, as they realize I can take care of their pest problem right on the spot. They appreciate the prompt service, and I usually give them a price break as well. It's a win/win deal, and most customers realize I'm trying to help them.

My other eight guys don't this, but I do the "specialty jobs", so once in a while I run low on product. I carry as many as 8 different products in my spray truck. Split tanks plus several backpack sprayers, plus concenterates.

"Do most of you guys fill up at a customer's home" = Yes.....once in a great while.
  7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I too only carry water in my tender tank.... but do carry 2.5's of Three Way.

Tip and pour?

Can you tell me more?

I carry my Three Way in 2.5's and hate using them! It drips when I pour sometimes and makes a mess (inside the bed of my truck)!

Does anyone have a better way of carrying and mixing Three Way?
  8. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

Why didn't I think of that? I'm running a spray rig with two different concentrations of the same product. I mix the nurse tank for the lower concentration of the hose tanks. When I fill the spray shield tank I have to add more chemical to bring it up to where it needs to be.
    It wouldn't be that much work to mix each tankful as needed. That way I wouldn't have to freak out if the nurse tank sprang a leak.
    One day I was towing a 1500 gallon water trailer. Straight water just to water some trees. The plastic tank split open and hosed down a bunch of cars. People were getting excited because they didn't know it was just water. Looking back it was darn funny but that could have just as easily been the nurse tank full of chemical.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I carry about 15 (I think) of the 2.5 gal. jugs, and fill them up with water (removed labels). This works well with refilling the PG, and for rinsing out the measuring cup and such.
  10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Our newsletter says that we sometimes need to fill with the customer's water, (8 gal for PG Ultra).

Sometimes we refill The PG with the water from our big tank which has fertilizer and weedo in it. We learned to filter it by running it through a very fine brass coffee filter. We add the usual amount of weedo to our PG tank (about 40 ounces), because the weedo from the big tank is so dilute it is almost insignificant.

We carry a 2.5 of weed killer on truck. And a measuring bucket.

I am thinking--(bad)--if the 2.5 jugs were marked with ounces on the jug 320 ounces). I wouldn't need a measuring bucket--just subtract what you need from what you have--and pour. I would need to print tall skinny sticky labels with ounces printed on them and stick them to each jug.

Which reminds me. We rigged up an internal measuring jug inside the tank on the 400 gal big tank. No measuring bucket needed. Fill the internal bucket to proper pints--pull the cord to tip it into the solution.