1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

do mulching blades really work?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QuadRacer041, Aug 12, 2003.

1. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 LawnSite Senior Member

ive been in the business for over 15 years and have never used em.
    i have a ferris 48" dual drive hydro i was thinking about putting them on. how do they work?
    do they mulch up grass well even if its high?would the lawn need to be gone over twice for them to work?can you still catch the grass and have a nice finish even with mulch blades on?
  2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I've used the JD mulching blades and while they leave a good cut I was still having to double cut. No, I could never get a bagger to work very well with them. The best mulching blade I have found thus far is the Meg MO setup. Meg Mo is a sponsor of this stite. WWW.Meg-MO.com
  3. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf LawnSite Member

Had my first experience with Gator blades yesterday. Verdict: they don't seem to do much on St. Augustine. Maybe it is too wet/heavy.....I did run over some wildflowers that my coworker had cut and left on the sidewalk...mulched them up quite well.

It could also be that my [boss's] deck baffles are bent and cut in several places.

I will be obaining a set for further evaluation on my own equipment soon......
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

gator blades and mulching blades are two different things. yes, the mulching blades are great. i have em on my bobcat 36, and 48, as well as my 32 exmark. they mulch good and give a quality cut. as far as running over twice, if its high and wet, u will double cut reguardless of the blade type
  5. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf LawnSite Member

Is Gator not one type of mulching blade?:confused:

What would you call them then?
  6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I have been through several sets of mid lifts and two sets of gators before I turned to high lifts.

personally...the single high lifts do it for me.

the ole lesco 48 throws clippings to the next county! (which aint so hard since it is pretty near by.)

7. Dr. Mow

Dr. Mow LawnSite Member

we have been useing the ferris eliminator blades for a few months now on both our 61 ztr and 32 wb
    1 pass better than high, low, or gators
    2 passes = awesom nice clean dark stripes no clippings ( unless unusally tall)

we do use a bluebird bagger on our riders some time and they work fine but it is motor driven I have a grass gobbler for the wb but have not used it, we made a chute cover and made the 32 a deicated mulcher - may try double elimnators on it next week if i get time

by the way the eliminators are a little pricy.:)
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

magnum gators for the fall really do an excellent job.
  9. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 LawnSite Senior Member

were can i get these eliminators and see a picture of them?

i usually never use the catcher with my ferris since i have a walker and do almost all my catching with that but on acation when i think its too wet or have a steap hill ill catch with the ferris.most of the cutting i do with the ferris is done were i dont need to catch but i figure with mulch blades ill be able to not catch more often, am i right?
  10. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Thiis has been true for me also. I have a TTHP 48" with mulch kit and blades installed. I've tried hi-lifts with the kit and had poor results.