Do Not Call List

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by grassguy_, Jan 7, 2004.

1. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Just wondering from those of you that have used telemarketing if you'll still be using it this season coming up? How effective has it been for you and do you look for it to be better or worse now?

2. grassguy_

from Ohio

ok, reviving the question as we get closer to the season. hmmmm, 6 inches of snow doesn't seem any closer, lol. Anyone already download the managery from the FTC's web site, good luck getting help from them.

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Grassguy,

The articles that I have recently read have been showing, since the enactment of the do not call registry, that many companies are turning to direct mail instead of telemarketing.

4. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I gotta say I love being able to come home after all night of plowing and not get 5-10 calls per day while I try to sleep.

The do not call list is the best thing EVER!

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Amen Brother!!!

6. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto that, I got one tonight the morons interupted my evening! I'm going to have to get on that list . Tony

7. grassguy_

from Ohio

LOL, the list works for those abiding by it!

8. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Telemarketing is dead, last I check 60% of res homes are on it. the fines are steep if you call someone on it, $5k, one slip up and there goes the profits, not worth the chance.

The real problem is business lines dont count, so now my office phone rings off the hook, way more then the home phone did.

Remember those days when you would call 30 homes on one street, I can remember doing 50 estimates on 3 It really worked well for many companies. I didnt think Bush would have signed it, way to anti business.

9. grassguy_

from Ohio

it's not only anti-business, its anti-capitalist, anti-american, and anti-realistic. If someone does want called then that is what unlisted numbers are for. To make a do-not-call list not only stopped a number of legit businesses from continued growth in an already fumbling economy but put a number of poeple out of work. Believe me those poeple that are working telemarket jobs aren't making big bucks, they're the same poeple who are living from paycheck to paycheck, single mothers, no hospital coverage, needing to make ends meet. Furthermore they'll work as hard as any illegals that are hopping the borders, trying to keep there dignity.

10. grassguy_

from Ohio

Don't get me wrong, I think telemarketing could easily be curtailed and controlled as opposed to a generic take all do-not-call-list. There are too many that abuse it, even in our industry, but making a list that is , in a lawn care term, non-selective, was not the way to go. Just think about it, As long as we continue to trim and cut back our rights, BIG BROTHER will continue to take taxes and smile with a big grin!