DO NOT finance through Sheffield!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hughmcjr, Apr 24, 2007.

1. hughmcjr

hughmcjr LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

I purchased a Hustler Super Z. Total bill was a little over 11k with bag vac system. I have financed through Sheffield Financial before, but am shocked at how they charge interest. They compound DAILY!

To put this in perspective on the amount I financed, I will be paying 2k in interest alone which on 12.95% interest rate is ridiculous to say the least. I am a business owner and understand about making a profit, but 1k dollars over the 36 months payment for just shuffling paper would be more than adequate. I am immediately paying off Sheffield with other financing and will save almost half the 2k.

I am just letting anyone know that isn't aware of interest compounding daily and how much of a scam it is. Sheffield is no friend to the landscape industry with those rates. Avoid them at all costs.:angry:

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It doesn't matter what the compound interval is. If you look at the fine print you will see that the compound works out to an annual rate of 12.95%. The problem isn't the way they compound it, it's the 12.95% interest rate. Your loan should work out to $2333.27 in interest paid over the life of the loan.

The "extra" $1000 isn't a fee for doing the paperwork, it's what you have to pay to borrow their money.

3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We just went through them and we are getting a fixed intrest rate of 9.99%, thats lower than a small business loan we were looking at. The business loan from a local bank was prime plus 2, that comes out to over 11%. Even 12.95 isnt all that bad these days. I could see if it were 19-24% like some of these places like Benificial or something like that.

4. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Sheffield is a joke.

5. richard1103

richard1103 LawnSite Member

i love sheffield they have all ways been good to me my rate is 3.9 they are
    good me

6. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

If you don't have it.....your only option is opm! That rate is not out of the ballpark. If I were in the finance biz, I'd sure as hell make sure I was making a fair profit for all the late payers/non-payers out there. Bottom line....more of us need them, then they need us!

7. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I just picked up a new Ferris walk behind at my dealer, they had 6 months same as cash and after that it was 3.6 %. I paid cash for it any how but that was pretty good deal.

8. Gator Done

Gator Done LawnSite Member

I got 0% for 36 months with sheffield for the hornet I bought.Pretty good deal I thought.

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Never a problem with them or GE. Even on the 0% loans someone is paying the finance company (the mower company, dealer or both). I know every dealer has told me they have to pay a different percentage depending on which loan option you choose. 12.9% is high but they have other plans if you qualify. Depends on brand of mower and your credit rating. Also they don't put leans on mower (at least I never have) so it is unsecured credit, that makes a difference.

10. NELawnCare

NELawnCare LawnSite Member

Yea, you have to be really careful and be an interest-rate bargin hunter these days. The tiny contract print will kill you. Normally the requirements to meet the small interest rate offers is so constricting you can't meet them.

I recently purchased a Ferris 1500Z 52" with triple-bagger and financed it through the Yard Card. They were touting 0% for 6-months then it rolls over to a fixed 3.6% for 36-months. That's a good deal!

When I received the paperwork to sign, it said 0% for 6-months then 14.9% "variable" for 36-months. I had to do some wrestling, but told the dealer that if they want my business they better honor what was advertised.

I finally got the 0% and 3.6% deal. And I check the statement each month to verify it.

Crooks! These friggin credit/financing companies make a killing. They are equivelant to loan sharks. I, too, believe is letting everyone in business make a profit. But come on. Let's be reasonable.