Do NOT powerwash my mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dfor, Oct 30, 2004.

1. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Every time I bring my mower into the dealer for work I say "don't powerwash it", but still it gets powerwashed. Personally, I would rather have a dirty mower than to have high pressured water all over it. Getting into places where water should not be. I've had water get into an ond Scag peerless transmission that eventually froze in 3rd gear. Anyone else feel this way about their equipment?

2. mpblass

mpblass LawnSite Member

I used to powerwash my mowers all the time. Then I had a drive bearing go out twice in two years on one of my wb's. My dealer said it was probably from powerwashing it all the time. I now only powerwash once at the end of the season.

3. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Generally they suggest compressed air to blow out the dirt and crud from the engine area, not water. Before I got my air compressor I'd simply use my backpack blower and it would do a pretty good job.

But, it is common to use a pressure washer to clean the underside of a deck. It may be that some people get carried away with pressure washers thinking "Geeze, as long as I have this thing going, why not clean the whole mower?" The Walker manual doesn't suggest this.

4. lafrance4078

lafrance4078 LawnSite Member

I think that if I was to powerwash my older model WB, all of the dirt would fall off. That would be a huge problem bc I think the dirt is all that holds it together. It stills puts a great cut on some grass though.

5. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Heh heh, Clip "n" Trim Lawncare... the bubble gum and duct tape is used for the times that you do clean that WB.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of mechanics like to clean a machine before they work on it. I don't blame them.

7. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I power wash mine all the time. If youÂ’re worried about getting water in your spindles, just keep them greased up.

8. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

As far as greasing those spindles up, i would love to do it, but to the best of my knowledge exmark spindles are sealed, correct? Anyone grease these? Short of taking em off the deck and dissasembling them?

9. CathyLynn

CathyLynn LawnSite Member

Our mechanics also like a clean machine. We charge a cleaning fee if teh machine really needs washing! We would not clean a machine just to repair a flat tire or some other simple procedure.EFI engines should not have high pressure aimed at them but the rest of the machine can be cleaned!

We have cleaned our machines really good several times per season with no adverse effects on any components. It also rains on us occasionally and the machines do not die from a little water! We waqsh our trucks too--and amazingly the paint stays on!!

10. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

When I am finished blowing off the driveway at a customers house, I always blow off the mower then load up and onto the next stop.

I believe that excessive pressure washing can do a number on a bearing/belt/pulley, etc. as well so I only pressure wash the deck and other areas that can take the high powered water.