1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do or Die Time.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AltaLawnCare, Feb 27, 2003.

1. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Just put in my notice...

At first the cat I work for was mad....a couple of days later (this morning) he came back to my office, and asked if I could work through March...I said OK... March 27 is the last day.

YEA! After 3 years I'm ready to go full time, Baby!!! in the only occupation I've ever enjoyed doing.

Lifes looking pretty good for ole Billy. :D :D
  2. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

The same here. My plans are to go full-time on April 1, 2003. (that's April's fools day) I have not told the man yet. I have plans to do this on March 17th.

This will give them 2 weeks.

I was wondering what kind of job are you leaving to pursue your life long dream ???????
  3. AltaLawnCare

Body Shop manager, at a dealership....been in this line of work for 8 long years....3 different shops, before that I sold automotive paint. Before that, college (Bachlors Business degree w/ major in accounting and minor in computer science) Took me a while to figure out what I want to do with my life, LOL .
  4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Best of luck to you! That is great that you are chasing your dream to do what you enjoy. Don't forget to check back in here and let us know how you make out.

5. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

Billy, I have over 15 years experience at my present job. I started out managing 2 Retail farm stores in the same county. Now I manage one bigger one in the same county after we consolidated the two.

Been doing lawn care part-time for a little over 6 years now. I just have those steady paycheck jitters. I know that I can make it. I just don't want the little lady on me when the money is coming in slow.

Just would like to get some things paid off before I make the big move. But the way I keep on buying things I would never go full-time.

Again good luck and say a prayer for me!!!!
  6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Good luck! You know where to go if you need help!
  7. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I think everyone has been there. Just make yourself sit down with the Mrs. and make a budget, and live by it to the penny. If you can do this and live through the first year or 2 then you should be well on your way.

I hope everything works out for both of you guys this year......and, well everyone else too! :D

MWS LAWN LawnSite Member

Good Luck Billy, I know it took a lot of guts to make the leap. Maybe with your help we can get this town to pay what it should be paying for our services, and get some of these scrubs out of here.
  9. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck. I am still only part-time. Full time firefighter. Three years in business, and the last two I have passed the sales goals for each year. If I keep growing I will also be going full-time, having employees doing most of the work, so I can keep my firefighting job.
  10. AltaLawnCare

I really appreciate that, Mike.
    Who ever the decision makers are for the town's work are going to be responsible to all the families of that grave yard when its tore all to pieces, and that guys bankrupt!
    I know I won't waste my time bidding on it again!

I'm going to try to get into more full service residentials.

I made about the same last year doing it part time as my full time job!!

I just need a little more.. ;)