Do or Die

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TarheelTLC, Jan 31, 2008.

1. TarheelTLC

TarheelTLC LawnSite Member

I read all these post of successful businesses. To be honest this will be my first full year on my own. With a full time job and doing this on the side I am not sure of my success. I am struggling with money and doing this to make ends meet. 3 step daughters and 2 sons of my own is making it very tough (ages 19 to 6 months). Yeah, I understand birth control and yeah I am almost 40 years old. I have put every extra dime into this to make a go of it. Tonight while watching the ball game I put (String) in my homemade door hangers. This may seem crazy but I have always loved this business. I worked for my uncle several years while in college and never lost the desire. I also did yards as teen on my own and working for the same uncle. Is there anybody else out that started out like me which is hoping to quit their current job and make it in this industry.

2. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

It's the middle of winter. Hang in there. Get a second job if you need to for the next several months. Keep the day job. At least you have lots of help hanging those doorhangers on the weekends. The 6-month old should get a lower per hour quota but may earn a higher return.

3. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Your too far from me. Things start to pick up in March here. Not alot of mowings but lots of mulch and pinestraw jobs, your basic spring cleanups. Last March was one of my better months. My advice is to decide on what areas you want to work in and target to them heavily. Don't wast time driving all over, you won't make any money that way. Show up on time and PAY ATTENTION TO THE DETAILS. Best of luck.

4. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

keep your job until you match that income. Its a great industry but dont be fooled without proper planning it will spit you out and leave you broke wonder who just ran over me.
    Proper Planing Prevents Poor Performance.

5. machine763

machine763 LawnSite Member

Contemplating a scenario for 2008, I am in my mid thirties with wife and two kids, and have been a solo-operator in the Lawn and Landscape provider for over 15yrs. Over the past couple of years I have been debilitated with injuries and illness, where I have had to downside my customer base and seek other ways making money. I did hire someone to help me out, but he is not the fix I am looking for. Yearly sale Revenues for me have been as high as 150k and now I am under 50k and expenses have increased dramatically. Plus all the money I put into saving during the good years is getting eating away by health care costs. I am not giving up working in this Industry and not going on disability.

The Landscape Market for 2008 looks bad as new home sales decline and foreclosure rate sky rockets. Communities are losing there luster as nice neighborhoods turn into a renters market and the real estate owners and developers are strapped for cash. New Properties are getting smaller and smaller on their lot size. I don’t mean to be a doom and gloomer, there are opportunities out there, but gross margins and growth don’t look good for the coming years.

Right now I am indecisive to what to do, shut down and sell off, continue with existing customer base, or expand and hire?

TarheelTLC, I hope what they say is true; that if you love what you do, you’ll be a success, they just didn’t say for how long.