1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do others experience this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BryanTX, Jul 29, 2002.

1. BryanTX

BryanTX LawnSite Member

It seems that rather regularly, we'll be at a jobsite taking care of our customers, only to experience other lawn care crews driving by and yelling and making obscene jestures. I ignore it, but do others experience this behavior? There's plenty of work for us all. Can't we just get along?:)

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

What Do They Yell! And to answer Question I Haven't Had any Person's Do that. And If it's Obscene Go and Pull there Key's Out of there mower's Or Better yet There truck's. It's Harmles FUN!
    Johnny G. Lawnone Ct :cool: :cool:
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I find it hard to believe that someone would be so unprofessional as to do something like that. Is it really that bad down there? That's about as stupid as it gets. Up here, in my area atleast, most everyone has a mutual respect, and there is usually a wave. Occasionally I'll wave to someone, and I know darned well they see me, but they continue on without waving. THIS is what seperates the pros from the rank amateurs. It's usually the young punk kid type that doesn't have the respect to wave back. It must be hard to be that insecure. There is one MAJOR business around here. I mean HUGE, and it seems that NONE of those guys ever wave. They think they're too good I guess - even though their work sure doesn't show it. :rolleyes: I have a reputation around here, I stay on the good side, and I'm to say that I have no enemies or anyone that even dislikes me. (I don't think)! :eek: I did have one service this year that had a misunderstanding, over something that was said by a relative of mine, but I quickly replied to this matter and got it straightened out. This particular one kind of upset me, because it was someone whom I'd just recently met, and I had went out of my way NOT to step on any toes, then THIS happens. I, as well as everyone that knows me, knows I'm not like that, and as a matter of fact, will go out of my way, (and have) to help someone. I've on numerous occasions, stopped if I seen a fellow lco broke down, or one time, I stopped and helped one push his Z out of the ditch. THIS is the kind of behavior and showmanship we need more of in this industry, not the negativity.;)
  4. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

around my town alot of the larger lawn care services with more then one crew seem to be vary unfriendly to other LCO probly cuz they feel threatened not sure why theres plenty of work to go around

like runner said . young kids working for someone else that dont give a **** all there looking for is a check each week to spend on booze and girls hehe that was me at one time :rolleyes: plus when ya have to pay your own bills each month when mommy and daddy give ya the boot you gain some respect for others or your not gunna make it in this world
  5. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

I have never heard the wife mention the negative things like you are speaking of.

Lots of folks wave really freindly to me when I am in the truck thinking it is my wife I think.

I have been out with them and plenty of onlookers wave, honk etc. when they see a couple of women out mowing.

I will stongly agree with what runner said. My wife and helper stopped one time to help another LCO out of a ditch with a Z. Later that afternoon I think it was, when he stopped to say thanks, he got to return the favor. Boy was my wife happy that she had stopped and helped. Kind of like that country song about Joe where his wife gets the $100.

Al B
  6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Just be sure they aren't looking for a date;) ;) Sorry, couldn't help myself......

FWIW, that just doesn't happen where I live......
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I've never seen that either. Most everyone around here waves out of respect.

Maybe its the way your looking at them with a chip on your shoulder???
  8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

we don't disrespect each other that way around here.

could get painful if we did!:gunsfirin

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

they dont do that here ,yet anyway.
    if they did and i thot i was able id confront them in a store or somethin..
    if i wasnt able ,id just have to ignore it.
    these fellas are usually totally surprised when confronted. and either try to laugh it off ,which i go along with . or just
    make a quick exit . ps to simplify things always allow a man to save face ,if u can.
    after all its just young fellas cuttin up.
    an u dont need the enemies ,but u do need their respect.
  10. Toatlandscape

Toatlandscape LawnSite Member

Only had a proplem with one other LCO he did all the homes on a cul de sac and was upset at me for getting into his business I guess. I just think to myself he will be gone and I'll still be here. Maybe I can get the rest of the street. Other than that we all wave and try to help each other out when possible.