Do Paver Manufacturers Spawn Incompetent?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Jan 16, 2014.

1. GravelyWalker

GravelyWalker LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

I have a couple questions for you. Now I have not been to one of these seminars, but how is going to a class on estimating going to created more low ballers?

Also what is with the competitor hate? Competition is good. If they are low balling everyone with in a short while they will be out of business and you will have more business fixing all his mistakes.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

responses in red. thanks for asking!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  3. GravelyWalker

I do understand all of that. But for guys like me who are trying to expand our knowlege to be of better assistance to our customers i think it could be great help. I know that getting into the business is more of a process than going to a one day siminar but it is somewhere to start. I know how to estimate but would like to get some industry specific knowledge. That is all i am saying
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. DVS Hardscaper

Absolutely it's a GREAT help.

And if all works out for you, in about 8 years after you've been to every seminary, every year - you'll start to see what I mean, and you'll think of this thread :)

Techo-bloc. On their facebook. For each class they hold they post about 25-30 pictures. Look at the people in the photos!

5. GravelyWalker

Yeah i know what you are saying . The way they advertise may attract the incompitant contractor thinking it is an easy process. But in your opinion is the information useful? Maybe not for the veteran but for the compitant contractor trying to do better?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. DVS Hardscaper

Any information anywhere for anything can be helpful. The value is in the beholder.

Yes, the information is helpful.

The best information is from the VanderKoi (spelling) seminars. I would recommend you attend a VanderKoi class over anything else.

But like anything in life - it's all about HOW BAD YOU WANT IT.

7. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

DVS...... I know I have been getting in trouble for growing your ego but damn you are a genius.....

Great posts on this page man....

8. DVS Hardscaper

LOL I have no ego, people on this site think I do so over the years I've gone along with it and played into it as part of my online personality!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I know vanderkoi is very big on teaching contractor to know their costs and expenses to do business so they price accurately. The thing that always bothered me is that your expenses really don't dictate the job price. The free market dictates the price. You can't just buy a fleet of new trucks every year and factor it into your hourly rate and think everything is going to be ok.

10. DVS Hardscaper

Humans are nothing more than sheep. They like to follow one another and all do the same thing. "Oh, it's January / February, time to go to the paver seminars". Not realizing that they've been to the same seminars for the past 6 consecutive years! Or it's "eou eou, gotta go, or the local competitors will think I've gone out of business".

Anyone remember going to these seminars back when Nextel's were the big thing? (and remember how big those Nextels were!) And how everyone at the seminars JUST HAD to be on their Nextel Direct Connect during the seminars feeling important and king of the world? LOL