Do people still use Reel mowers?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Carolina Cuts, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got a call from a woman.... she's new to the area, new construction house, just moved in. "Her landscaper that installed the new construction landscape and sod told her that she has Bermuda grass and that it must be cut with a reel mower" then she asked if I would use one on her property as the 'landscaper' requested...

When I explained to her what a reel mower was and that I haven't seen a lawn service use one in over 20 years...... she seemed very confused. Then explained she'd talk to her husband and call back.

hahaa..
    How much would one charge to reel mow 18,000 sqt???
    Forget it... don't answer that.

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Reel mowers are expensive to begin with, and are even more time consuming to maintain, if we are talking about the powered ones and not the lil $110 scotts version from home depot. And they are only good if they are cutting off a small amount of grass at a time. If you don't already have a reel mower, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to take this account if she is sold on having someone using a reel mower on the lawn.

3. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

older commerical guy in town uses one!

4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

It is almost all I use. Right now the winter rye is growing too fast to use. In the summer with the hybrid Bermudas it is all we use. Great cut yes its not a poor mans game.

5. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

I HAVE COSTUMER WHERE i use one just for one spot in here backyard where she has a fence for her little dogs. it takes me about 5 min . by the way the reel mower is hers and i just use it.

6. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

They are talking about a reel mower that is commonly used on golf courses. You may be thinking of the "old school" non-powered push type!

7. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

yeppers... that was my first thought... the ol' school type mowers.

8. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I still have calls for reel mowers however with the advent of the Walker, Bunton, Textron and ExMArk Navigator rotaries I see no reason to market reel mowing.
    For tighter areas I highly recommend the Hayter series walk behind roatries - excellent machines, robust and cut at 1/2" just as well as a reel mower.
    Best thing is they cost less too.
    Bear in mind my comments are based upon over seventeen years in the turf industry, building courses, maintaining courses, consulting and running my own business.

9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Grass guy is right. I am currently trying to buy a Hayder Harrier mower but they just changed their US distributor and I have not been able to get a hold of one.

My local Simpson-Norton dealer is supposed to be getting some in soon. Whatever that means, I have been calling weekly for 7-8 weeks now.

I have been told the cost will be about 1800.00 for a 22" My 27" Tru-Cut cost 1700.00 but the jump to a greens or fairway mowers is a whole new neighborhood financially.