1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do pre emergents for flower beds really work??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by SouthernYankee, Nov 7, 2005.

1. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I have several accounts that have lots of problems with weeds in flower and ornamental beds and I was wondering if pre emergents really work with this type of applications?

How long do they last?

Can you put them on top of mulch?
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yes and Yes. Preen and Amaze both work well. You can spread them before mulching or after right over the top. Just has to be watered in. I try to remember to do my home landscape a couple times a season... Sure saves the weed pullin!

Actually... Thanks for the reminder! I needs to do that!

As for lasting... I'd say 3 months? maybe. Dosn't hurt to put it down in the fall too, lots of winter annuals germinating now or very soon!
  3. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

I personally would recommend Snapshot. You get 4-6 month control over a pretty wide selection of weeds. Even more than the Preen (aka Treflan). The down side is it is more expensive, but it works great.
  4. kcchiefs58

kcchiefs58 LawnSite Member

I think you should know that you will not get 100% control and if there are perennial weeds in the flower beds now it will not control them or if there is any weeds at that time you put the pre down it will not take them out.
  5. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i use pendulum 3.3ec (works for grass weeds) mixed with gallary (works for broadleaf weeds) in a backpack sprayer. it works excelent and i treat about every 6-8 weeks. as with anything, the more you do it the easier it is (control of weeds) 1st year is always the worst, either the company before didn't do them (or did a bad job) or it's a new bed. after that it's fine. (still have a few weeds nomatter what. a nice thing about doing this service is it gives you somethnig to do if rain is on the way since it should be watered in. might check your license requirments, it falls under tree/ornimenatls, and your lawn license won't cut it.
  6. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

It looks like you my be going over the label specs .

If you put down a freah thick layer of mulch , you will not need the premergent
  7. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry but I totally disagree. I've done the just mulch and then weed thing, no thanx. We do mulch. But I would say its more of a factor of dressing the beds than any thing. Yes it does keep some weeds down. But, have you ever heard of a little weed known as horsetail? it COMES in the mulch, or only grows in the mulch. Alot of weeds still germinate in that mulch also. I have said it before, I use Snapshot and round up. Mulch, snapshot, round up. and hand weed ocasionally. Where you are may be different, but it works for me,well.
  8. ArizPestWeed

Well , works here in Az
    I'l have to do a search for horsetail to see what it is
  9. ArizPestWeed

10. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

I know what it is. I also mentioned that we mulch as well. But.... unless you want to weed your brains out- not in AZ, so I don;t know what its like there- you will do more than just mulch. Pre emergents give you an excellent advantage over hand weeding. It saves me ALOT of money in labor. therefore puts that labor money in my pocket. As well its agreat seller to landscapers who have to weed as part of their contracts, havn't met one yet who likes to weed.