Do-rag or no Do-rag?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Wittapp, Oct 22, 2008.

1. r8derman

r8derman LawnSite Member

We wear 'em all the time...the only thing might be just don't wear gang colors (red or blue) in bad areas of town. Hell I wear black, or camo, never get a strange look.

2. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Now take in mind, that this is just my opinion. But No way...No how. Myself, nor any employee are going to be presenting themselves in "do-rags". We aren't a construction crew, we aren't in the gym lifting, we aren't portraying bikers out there, we aren't gangbanger looking thugs standing out on a street corner, and we aren't rebel rockers from some metal band.
    We are professionals and we are expected to look as such. You don't see employees from Scott

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i wear them all the time. i do wear the Kentucky blue bandanas that match my uniform shirt. all in all i do look pretty professional and i've never had anyone complain.

5. STRINGALATION

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

that is my line of thinking. i feel if i do that then i might aswell let them un-tuck their shirts and wear hats turned around and the rest. i think by me and my help being black we are stereo typed so i need deposits and confidence from potential customers and dont need someone wondering if we will run off with the deposit or smoke bud around back.. it may sound paranoid but i have been black for 36 years so i speak from experience

6. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, being out in the sun all day and working with Mexicans, this is what you do:

Get a large type of cloth, kinda like a diaper material/white, when you are mowing cover your head, ball cap to hold it, it should hang over your neck protecting you, it also should be hanging to the side of your face, when you are done take it off/wipe face, hang it to air dry....it will be ready the next job you get too.

Its not a joke, you have seen them everywhere on jobsites, it worked great for me under a hardhat last year 100 degree/100 humidity, it will do the same this year...

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Wow...Somehow, half of my post got cut off! lol:rolleyes:

8. Wittapp

Wittapp LawnSite Member

OK, All I am hearing is No, NO, NO, don't wear them. Which, I agree with. I don't like the image. My point in the first place was that I sweat profusely and the hat is not enough to keep sweat out of my eyes. I am looking for suggestions on something to wear under my ball cap that will keep the sweat out of my eyes.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The towel idea I mentioned works, because you can just use the end(s) to quickly wipe your face now and then. :)

10. Fife Lawn&Lane

Fife Lawn&Lane LawnSite Member

under armour makes a beanie to wear under a ball cap, works really good for keeping you cool and the sweat off your face.