Do Referrals Pay??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by SoloMow, Mar 7, 2005.

1. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

First off, I want to make it very clear that I do not hold a herbicide/pesticide spraying license of any type! Nor, do I intend to seek such a license. It's just not what I want to do. I am content to mow, trim, edge, blow and GO.
    Many of my small sub-division customers approach me to spread "Weed & Feed" in the spring. I tell them that my liability insurance excludes coverage for dispersing chemicals and that it's against the law. I can't do it! But, I do recommend a local company that, in my opinion, does the best service.
    Last year, four of my customers took my recommendation and hired the local company. My question is this: Can I reasonably ask this company to pay me for referrals that sign contracts? If so, how much would you guys pay for a full-season contract? Thanks. :cool:

2. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

No, you can't ask for payment for the ones that you have already referred to him. (You can ask but only if you want to get laughed at and lose his good will.) You may, however, be able to work out something on the lines of an agreement for the future.

3. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

Yeah, I assumed that previous referrals were water over the dam! I just wondered about this upcoming season and what I might ask this company in return for referrals that actually sign full-season contracts. Just trying to help the bottom line! :D

4. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I pay 10% of the applications price for one year to other companies that send me referrals. I only pay the 10% on the fert. apps. not on grub control aerations, etc...
    I just started doing it this year and it looks like it is going to be a win win for everyone.

David

5. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Whats 5-10% going to mean on a handful of referrals. I would make sure that the company who is benefiting from your referrals know that you are the source, and let it be known that you would also in return appreciate their referrals for the type of work you do. If they do not reciprocate, then look for someone else that you can confidently refer the work to who will send you leads.

6. ns400r

ns400r LawnSite Member

David, I remember you telling me about this when we talked during that snow storm while I was plowing, How's it going so far? How's your health? :waving:

7. DiscoveryLawn

ns400r :waving:

This is too funny! :D

So far, I have received over 230 referrals from other companies. I am very busy running all of these estimates. I sure hope these turn into a lot of new accounts. About 85 of the estimates I have completed went out at the end of last week. Another 79 will go out at the end of this week and the rest should go out at the end of next week.

I will not only pay a commission on every sale from these accounts, I also am referring work to these other companies as well.

David

8. ns400r

ns400r LawnSite Member

230 thats awesome, you got snow on the ground over there in OH? when are you thinking you will start rd 1?

9. DiscoveryLawn

No snow sticking but it has snowed a few times over the past couple of weeks. Soil temps are at 40 and air temps were in upper 20's today. Since I do not have many accounts I am waiting for temps above 45 and going to blanket app. with speedzone along with my fert and Barricade. I hope to start next week or week after.

David

10. MIDWEST25

MIDWEST25 LawnSite Member

get 10 to 12%. Its easily affordable for the owner