Do Super Zs have greasable or sealed deck spindles?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tb8100, Jul 17, 2008.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

They are sealed.

3. Mimowerman

Mimowerman LawnSite Senior Member

ahhh, they are not sealed !! under the deck is a zerk fitting but grease them only once per year!!

4. Ridin' Around

Ridin' Around LawnSite Senior Member

once per year - need it or not? I mow once a week for 30 minutes and you mow 6 days a week for 5+ hours, how does once a year work?

5. tb8100

from TX

+1:confused:

6. tb8100

from TX

well that's what the web site says, but I hear people talk about how they grease their spindles regularly. I'm curious now...

7. Ridin' Around

Ridin' Around LawnSite Senior Member

Some machines, and I am not familiar with the Super Z, are sealed but have a grease fitting, that is used to displace moisture between the bearings. Maybe this is the case hear. in that case the annual greasing may be feasable, may not.

8. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

how do their spindles keep from metal to metal contact then. It's a moving part, and moving parts need regular lubrication. All your super z wants is a little lube-job...is that too much to ask??? :):)

9. BAKERS

BAKERS LawnSite Member

The bearings are sealed, they have a grease fittings underneath for the shaft. It should be greased every 350 hours, its a good spindle they have had it in their machines for 25+ years. I have seen more failures because of over greasing......

10. freedm2

freedm2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Do you grease the wheel bearings in your car? Ah, not since about 1980. Sealed bearings are fine.