1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do the extra services really pay off?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Aug 30, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I Was looking to add tree removal(Ill only stick with smaller ones in my game) and adding preasure washing. Will these fill up my winter or just pay themselves off?
  2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Extra services seem to pay good. They really help my bottom line. Tree removal is a good money maker.
  3. deapee

deapee LawnSite Member
    from pa

I'd say go for it just because you never know what you'll find. Maybe you end up running solely tree removal or solely pressure washing. If you do either, I know the risk of screwing up someone's property increases a lot because of the chemicals you'll be working with pressure washing...and as for the trees, well that's obvious, so make sure you talk to your insurance company.

Now at the same time, you may just want to think about an add-on like say p-washing for example...you don't feel like doing it because of the risk, so you find an established company...you sell a job for $300, and pay them $200...so you make $100 for doing nothing. Now you're thinking ;-)
  4. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Extra services "are" the real money. I do multi family projects like condos and we make insane money on extras like landscaping, rock beds, cement pad replacement, vinyl siding repairs and the list goes on and on.

For example, we do lawncare for a 100 unit condo. Lawn is $3,900/mth. So far this year, about $39k in extras. Another one, 140 unit condo, same charge for cutting a month, extras around $65k.

The extra charges in the multi family may not be the same in residential, but the ratio could well be almost identical depending on the clients.

Do not underestimate the potential of the "extras". Could well be the best move you'll ever make financially.

Let us know how it goes. Any questions, ask here, we'll try to help.

5. flakebortch

flakebortch LawnSite Member

Can you guys give me all of the "extras" that you can think of?
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Do the extra services really pay off?
    LOL. Does mowing? You give me 3 operations in the green industry - no,....just give me one that makes less than mowing.
  7. Shilohlandscaping

Shilohlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from Norcal

I do a few things on the side also and the money is usually great.. Been thinking about powerwashing though. Ive done it for a couple of older established customers but I didnt want to actually offer it to all until I check out if my insurance covers me. Like any thing else in this biz, the trick also is not to underprice yourself.. you will get people figuring "I can get the gardener to do it for cheaper" kind of thing.

Same goes with tree removal.. "Can you just take the tree out for $30 an hr?"... NO.
  8. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I quoted someone the other day about removing a fallen tree. It was about 75ft long and about 1-4.5ft thick from top to bottem. I figured it would take me all day( He wanted it hauled off to) So I quoted $400.00. He said thats to high, my lawn man said $200.00. I never heard from him again. There is NO way that this guy charged $200.00. This was a big frikin tree and even if you had a crew to do it faster, $200.00 still wouldnt pay itself off.
  9. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Don't forget what I've been saying for quite a while. A homeowner is more likely to reject a bid because he's spending "his" money. He had to go to work everyday and it hurts like heck when a dime gets spent. Not all homeowners are like this, but most. I include myself. I make a pretty penny and I'm not hurting but I'll sqeal like a piglet to spend more than I have to.

So the moral of the story, and I've pointed it out more than once is this. Most often if you quote to someone who is not spending his or her money, ie... management company, condo board or property manager, it's easier as there is already a budget to be spent. It's easier to deal with them, it won't hurt them personally to spend money....!!!!

I've pointed this out often but most guys on this site, or the ones who told me... they plain don't believe and I must be stupid.

Take this advice seriously, it's fact... can anyone voice their opinion on this?

10. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Makes total sense to me!!