Do the little Z's perform like the big Z's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tn Lawn Man, May 25, 2005.

1. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I need help and want to hear from those who know.

I currently have a Toro 27hp 62" Z and a Toro 15hp 48" walkbehind.

Comparing the two here is what I like and don't like.

The Z has great ground speed. It outruns the wb like it was sitting still.

The horsepower on the Z is phenomenal. I can cut down a small forrest with it.

The Z doesn't clump in wet grass or have the wet grass stick under the deck. My dealer says that it is because the horsepower forces it out.

The 62" is too big for most of my lawns. It causes gate issue.

The WB is great for gates and the size yards that I have most.

However, it doesn't have the things I like about my Z: horsepower, speed and the benefits each of those provide.

I want to keep my walkbehind for hills and hard to reach places because they are awesome for that.

However, I am considering trading the 62" for a 48" or 52" Z. But, I do not want to give up the benefits of my big Z with the exception of the deck size.

So my question is:

Will the smaller 48" 23hp perform as well as my 62" 27hp but with a smaller cut?

I know what the specs say but I would like to hear from you all with real world experience with both the bigger and smaller Z's.

Sorry this post was so long.

Thanks all!!!!

2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I think you need two mowers in the Z form. That is what I have.

19HP Scag Z cat 36" for those pesky gates.

27 HP Gravely PM 260 60" for most everything else.

My Scag works pretty much like the Gravely. I have cut off as much as 8 inches of growth without it bogging too badly and I could still one cut that at about 4-5MPH. Top speed of 8-8.5MPH. This mower has 3 blades on a 36" and that helps alot with debris size and avoiding turf turds.

I would keep the 62" and get a smaller rider with the WB as a reserve unit.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I totally agree with that. However, if you don't need anything smaller than a 48" cut... I'd stick with the 48" or 52" Z.... in a major brand with plenty of ponies.

If you are considering the Toro as I think you are... I personally I prefer the 52" on the small frame rider (450Z) and I like the large frame that much better. An offset 48" deck just don't cut it for me. The Lazer HP, ect, is set up better in the 48" size.

But i'd certainly keep the 62" Toro unless you hardly use it now. Otherwise it will be sorely missed productively speaking.

4. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. They are very informative.

Envy why does a 48" deck not cut it for ya? Do you mean that you prefer the extra 6" of deck or that the 48" doesn't have the power? Because the one I am looking at is the Z450.

Thanks

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well I don't like the way they mount the 48" deck on the 450 frame. It's just not wide enough to be offset to the left on that machine. If you look you will see it doesn't even cut out the tire tracks on the right side. The 52" is better on that frame. In addition I think it's the superior choice over the eXmark 52" HP as well.

In my opinion, it also would hurt to look at the 500 series with the 52"